? asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Why do you think certain northeastern states always vote Democrat in national elections?

This a follow-up to an earlier question about Republican solidarity in deep south states. Since I'm not from the Northeast, I do not feel qualified to attempt a pov on this question. Can one of you more astute types fill me in here? Fire away and feel free to be objective at times:)

Favorite Answer

I am a New Yorker and my state consistently vote Democrat in every election. Following would be my determination why.

First of all New York is a huge "Union" state. Nearly all of the states services are unionized. Fire dept, police, social services, hospitals, sanitation, teachers to name a few. Union leaders always tell their union members to vote Democrat. The unions spend millions of dollars of their members union dues to campaign for the Democrat running for office. As a person who has two union members in my family I see this all the time. We get endless mailings and phone calls during an election. fortunately your final vote is private and our family always votes Republican. My family is certainly in the minority.

Second, we have a huge population of minorities here in New York (black, Hispanic, etc) which are known for being very supportive of the Democrat party.

Third New York has a major population of Liberals and people in the "arts" (acting, artist, musicians etc.) which consistently votes Democrat Party.

In conclusion I would say that is why the Democrat running for office always wins in New York. We have had some politicians who have been involved in major scandals, and just when I thought to myself that this person was "done" they would alas be re elected.

Now, I know a few examples can be dug up to prove me wrong but The Majority of the time the Democrat wins. As a "Red Person" living in a Blue state, all I can say is Life Sucks. :)

It's probably more of an urban/rural split than anything else. Urban areas tend to be more Democratic. Rural areas Republican. The northeast has more urbanized areas. The south and midwest doesn't. If you look at red/blue maps by county, you see the blue hot spots are always the most urbanized. True in even such red states as Nebraska, Utah, Georgia, etc. It's just how the balance works as to whether the population balance of any state tilts urban or rural, and gives the state as a whole its electoral record.

Because although Republicans are conservative in nature, they also represent and support greedy mega corporations and the insanely wealthy. Democrats, even though their decisions can be liberal or even radical, support the working class (supposedly) :(

Most of the people in this corner of the country are hard working, god fearing, middle-class people, who are losing their jobs weekly.

Source(s): I live in Pennsylvania, once in Pittsburgh, then moved north to a less urban area.

Apparently you have never been to the north eastern states, I have been to all of them and once you try to hold a conversation with the people who live there you understand completely.~!

• barbe

in the adventure that your actual question is racism and what occasion is in command of it ask your self right here: Which occasion ended slavery? Republican Which occasion went to conflict to maintain slavery criminal? Democrat Which occasion fought for and handed civil rights regulations? Republican Which occasion fought to disclaim blacks civil rights? Democrats Who grew to become into between the main Democrat Senators that fillibustered to disclaim blacks civil rights? They have been all Democrats because of the fact Republicans supported civil rights legislations and fought against Al Gore Sr.'s fillibuster. Which occasion keeps to have as a substantial chief of their occasion a Senator that keeps to you the N**** word? Democrats Which occasion keeps to financially help and decide for the chief of the Klu Klux Klan? Democrat occasion for Senator Robery Byrd Which President has the main distinctive cupboard in history? Republican George W. Bush Which President gave extra funds to Africa than the different President in history? Republican George W. Bush How lots extra grew to become into this volume of money than Democrat bill Clinton gave in the time of his Presidentcy? Over 8 circumstances the quantity of funds. What black chief praised Democrat Clinton's small contribution to Africa nonetheless complained whilst Republican George W. Bush gave over 8 circumstances extra advantageous than Democrat President Clinton that it wasn't sufficient? Democrat Jesse Jackson Who pronounced approximately Barrack Obama that he grew to become into doing nicely because of the fact we finally have a sparkling ARTICULATE AFRICAN AMERICAN? Democrat vice chairman Joe Biden i ought to pass on and on approximately how racist the Democrat occasion is how strikes tutor that may not the case with the Republican occasion nonetheless i'm attempting to apply data and history with Democrats so i realize it won't artwork.

Probably but there was a glimmer of hope in Massachusetts.

Lead in the water pipes??

they are mostly the educated man or women who has an open mind