Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingGrade-Schooler · 1 decade ago

What are some good books to read aloud with my kindergartner?

So far we've read the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, Charlotte's Web, A Cricket in Times Square, the Magic Tree House books, and the Amber Brown books by Paula Danziger.

Favorite Answer

American Girls, The Box Car Children, Nancy Drew, Narnia, Nate the Great, Sarah Plain and Tall, Stewart Little, James and the Giant Peach, The Borrowers, Harriet the Spy, three tales of My Fathers Dragon (i really like this one), Frindle, Pippi Longstocking, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Nate The Great, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, The BFG, Roald Dahl books in general, Junie B. Jone's, Misty of Chincoteague, Horrible Harry, Arthur, Judy Blume, Skylark, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, The Indian in the Cupboard, Encyclopedia Brown, Jigsaw Jones

These are books that my students (I teach 1st grade right now but have done K-4 between college and teaching). They range in level a little bit but I went off of your list of books you have already read with your daughter.

For a five or six year old, I'm thinking anything by Rhoad Dahl (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory); or perhaps something by Rudyard Kipling (The Jungle Book).

Alice's Adventure in Wonderland would be great, as would The Tale of Peter Rabbit, The Little Prince, or the Wizard of Oz.

Book series such as Narnia, Harry Potter, Golden Compass, Lemony Snickett, etc. would probably be better as your child grows older.

Of course, I picked out those stories that are considered part of the "classics" in the lexicon of children's literature, or at least some that will become "classics". Frankly, there are thousands of well written stories for young children.

Your best bet of all, even better than Y!A, would be to take a trip to the local library and introduce your child to one of the librarian's. If your child tells the librarian about himself or herself, then the librarian may be able to find some engaging books or book series to work on.

Finally, bravo and good work on building the foundation of a good reader. So many people today forget about the magic and importance of books, save for a few such as yourself. Best wishes to you and your child!

Cheers

these are the book i am currenty reading my nephew who is 5

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

My Mom Is a Firefighter

Jungle Animals

sideways stories from wayside school.

i used to love this book. :)

Dr. Seuss!!