DeDi asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

How to word a handwritten save the date and introductory note?

I am getting married on New Year's Day of next year and feel that since it is a holiday I ought to inform invitees of the date well before when I will send out invitations (October). I've already informed most of my friends/family of the date, so I won't be sending save the dates to everyone.

I wanted to handwrite a short note to some of my fiance's family members whom I've never met to introduce myself and let them know about the date. I only have somewhat small cards to write on (3" x 4" folded) and wanted to use my own script.

What should I say that effectively expresses who I am in relation to these strangers and informs them of the wedding date? I want to avoid any wording that sounds like I am demanding that they "save the date" (who I am to tell them they have to come), but it makes it clear that we'd like them to join us.

How does this sound?

Dear Mr. and Mrs. [Smith],

Last year I was elated when I became engaged to your [grandnephew]. We've decided that we will marry on New Year's Day of 2011, and I hope that you will be able to join us for the event. I look forward to meeting John's extended family as the wedding approaches. If you will be able to join us and anticipate needing hotel accommodations, please contact the (X) Hotel at (000)-0000 and request the Smith/Ward block rate.

Very sincerely,

Anna

Favorite Answer

My goodness! Just when I had nearly given up hope for the continuation of social niceties, a lady like you comes along and restores my faith!

By all means, write a naturally worded polite note on informal cards with your own script! This is so completely proper that you will leave Mrs Smith chortling in delight at the prize her grandnephew has won!

It does sound a lot like an informal invitation. You might want to change it slightly, accordingly, to let them know that they will be receiving a formal invitation letter later. It need only be a subtle change to your lovely wording:

Dear Mr. and Mrs. [Smith],

Last year I was elated when I became engaged to your [grandnephew]. We've decided that we will marry on New Year's Day of 2011. I look forward to meeting John's extended family as the wedding approaches. Although the invitations aren't ready yet to send, I did want to contact you in particular to let you know to expect one, and also that we have arranged a special rate at the (X) hotel for our guests. If you anticipate needing hotel accommodations, their number is (000)-0000 and you can request the Smith/Ward block rate.

Very sincerely,

Anna.

It sounds like an invitation, not a save the date.

The words "save the date" are taken very casually, and are not perceived to be a demand. The save the date should simply serve as a notice of the date. The invitation is where you detail the hotel info. You could just write,

We have chosen a date!

January 1, 2011

(city, state)

Formal invitations to follow.

??