Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why do dogs sniff everywhere before peeing?

I'm just curious as to why my dog has to sniff a billion and three places before he can actually pee.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Jesse
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Who knows. Some of my dogs just do it right away some sniff around.......I have a new French Bulldog. She will cover the whole back yard at least twice before she decides where to defecate.

Go figure.

• 1 decade ago

same but i think its because a dog wants to mark its territory. so it looks for the scent of an other animal and pees on that.

Source(s): (i love the song uprising by muse)
  • 1 decade ago

He is looking where other dogs marked their territory and whether the dog was marking or just eliminating

• 1 decade ago

Dogs like to mark their territory, so they try to "dominate" the scent of the urine left by previous dogs that marked the area with their own urine. I hope this helps!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

smells tell a story to dogs...they know what dog marked where and what direction he went in. they pee over the other dogs urine to mark territory.

• 1 decade ago

They do that so they can find a place where some other dog peed and mark it to be there spot.

• 1 decade ago

It's a marking thing. Nothing more.

• 1 decade ago

they want to meake sure that they had left thier mark so that other animals pee they know that they own that spot!

Source(s): vet.
  • 1 decade ago

looking for where another dog has marked, so he can mark over it as his.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

looking if another dog has marked there, so he can mark his.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.