Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why do dogs sniff everywhere before peeing?

I'm just curious as to why my dog has to sniff a billion and three places before he can actually pee.

• Jesse

Who knows. Some of my dogs just do it right away some sniff around.......I have a new French Bulldog. She will cover the whole back yard at least twice before she decides where to defecate.

Go figure.

same but i think its because a dog wants to mark its territory. so it looks for the scent of an other animal and pees on that.

Source(s): (i love the song uprising by muse)

He is looking where other dogs marked their territory and whether the dog was marking or just eliminating

Dogs like to mark their territory, so they try to "dominate" the scent of the urine left by previous dogs that marked the area with their own urine. I hope this helps!

smells tell a story to dogs...they know what dog marked where and what direction he went in. they pee over the other dogs urine to mark territory.

They do that so they can find a place where some other dog peed and mark it to be there spot.

It's a marking thing. Nothing more.

they want to meake sure that they had left thier mark so that other animals pee they know that they own that spot!

Source(s): vet.

looking for where another dog has marked, so he can mark over it as his.

looking if another dog has marked there, so he can mark his.