Simple corn bread stuffing recipe?

Just a simple cornbread stuffing recipe. No creative additions...just plain corn bread stuffing.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

Ingredients

2 (8 1/2 ounce) boxes Jiffy cornbread mix, baked and crumbled

4 cups soft breadcrumbs

1 lb sausage

1/2 teaspoon sage

2 cups celery, slices (optional)

1 cup chopped onion (optional)

2 eggs, beaten

1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth

1/4 cup water (or more to moisten as much as you prefer)

Directions

1Fry sausage and add sage, celery, and onion.

2Add breads, eggs, chicken broth and 1/4 water (or more) and bake at 350F in a 9x13 pan for 35 minutes.

3Enjoy!

• 10 years ago

Ingredients:

1 box of corn muffin mix

Whatever ingredients are called for on the corn muffin mix - usually eggs and milk, sometimes butter as well

1 medium onion

Turkey broth or chicken broth

2 teaspoons of sage

Directions:

Bake corn bread per the mix instructions. Cook in a one quart casserole dish - you will use this dish for the stuffing as well. You can make the corn bread the night before, so that there is less work to do on the day of your meal. Chop the onion into small pieces - this can also be done ahead of time and stored in a ziploc bag.

When you are ready to make the stuffing, break up the corn bread with a fork, right in the casserole dish. Add the onion and sage and mix well. Once things are mixed together, you need to add the broth. I usually make this stuffing at Thanksgiving and use the broth from the turkey. Pour in enough broth that the entire stuffing is saturated, mixing well. At this point cover and bake on 350 for 1 hour.

Sometimes there isn't enough broth for both stuffing and gravy and if that is the case I will divide the turkey broth between the two dishes and use canned chicken broth to make up the difference. If you aren't making this with a turkey, then chicken broth is fine as well and I am guessing that vegetable broth could also be substituted for a vegetarian stuffing.

I love this dish for its unique flavor, ease of preparation (especially the make ahead parts) and the frugalness of the ingredients. Even if you purchase canned broth, all ingredients bought on sale would bring the total cost of the stuffing to around $1. You really can't beat that for such a great side dish for any meal, but especially a nice turkey dinner.

• 10 years ago

* 2 medium eggs

* 1-1/4 cups milk

* 1/4 cup oil or melted margarine

* 1-1/2 cups cornmeal

* 3/4 cup flour

* 1 tablespoon baking powder (3 teaspoons)

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 2 tablespoons sugar

First get out your favorite large bowl. Crack the eggs into it. Pour in the milk and the oil or margarine. Mix this up until it is emulsified nicely (that means blended up really well). Dump in the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Use a whisk or a spoon and a strong arm to mix this all up until it is quite smooth. Turn the batter into a round, oiled 9-inch pan, or an oiled 8-inch square pan. You could also use a large iron skillet if you liked. Bake the cornbread at 400� for about 30 minutes, maybe a smidgen more. Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before cutting it into wedges. I usually cut 12 wedges, but you could cut 8 just as easily.

Source(s): My experience
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

CORNBREAD STUFFING

1 med. chopped onion

3/4 c. chopped celery

2 inch piece regular sausage

1/2 stick butter

2 c. turkey stock or water and bouillon cubes

7 oz. pkg. Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix

1/2 pan crumbled cornbread (Jiffy mix)

1 c. stock

Brown onion, celery, sausage in 1/2 stick butter. Add 2 cups stock, then stuffing mix, then 1/2 pan crumbled cornbread. Place into heavy pan sprayed with Pam. Pour 1 cup stock over. (Can make to here and refrigerate.) Bake at 350 degrees covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes more.

Source(s): Grandma's Recipe
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

I always make Paula Deen's "Southern Cornbread Stuffing" and it turns out well every time. It does take a bit of time to make, though. Whichever you choose, I would recommend making the cornbread tonight so it will have a chance to cool ahead of time. It is difficult when you're short on time, and trying to crumble oven hot cornbread. My grandmother always made this one: 1 recipe cornbread 1 bag Pepperidge Farm seasoned stuffing mix (not the cubed one) 2 eggs, beaten cooked and shredded chicken 32 oz. Chicken Broth Crumble prepared cornbread into very large bowl. Add stuffing mix and mix well. Pour in Chicken broth and mix well. Add eggs and mix well. Add shredded chicken to mixture and mix well. The consistency should be slightly soupy, so if it is too dry, add more chicken broth (or water if you run out). Bake at 350 degrees until set and top is light golden brown. **tips** if you find that you've added too much liquid, you can crush Saltine or Ritz crackers and add them to the mixture until it is the consistency you desire. You can also taste the mixture before you add the egg to make sure it has the right taste, and add salt, pepper, and/or poultry seasoning

• 3 years ago

One of the most healthy foods are fruits and vegetables. There is not any healthy diet without them!

• 3 years ago

Fruits and vegetables have few calories, and they're easy to burn off w/ light exercise. And some vegetables like avocados are high in healthy fats.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

A shredded chicken soup flavored with garlic, onion powder, salsa, tomatoes, tomato soup, chili powder, corn, beans and sour cream.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

It's a brand called Jiffy, it comes in a box, you add an egg and some milk... pretty easy

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.