Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 10 years ago

what's the best type of jack to carry around in your truck?

like a 1/2 ton 4x4 truck. Do you like the factory jack, or do prefer any particular aftermarket type jack? And do you jack up the axle/suspension, or body/frame?

Update:

i'm surprised none of you guys mentioned a scissors jack. Bottle jacks aren't a good idea, but a lighweight floor style jack could be cool, although I think an an aluminum one would be over $400. It's easier to jack the car by the suspension, because you eliminate that amount of travel, that it would take the jack, to hang the suspension by. Maybe in certain conditions it can be better to lift by the frame, like when jacking the front end. I'm definitely going to go with a scissors jack or a floor jack. And like one poster said, to have a couple pieces of wood. If you wrap a floor jack in a packing blanket, and put it in a box from a grocery store, and secure it, it wouldn't bounce around. Now I have to make sure my spare tire matches the other four.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I use a floor jack. The kind that roll around on four steel wheels. I jack it up by the frame not the body or the axle.

• Jon P
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

A floor jack will be cumbersome to carry around in a truck. I used a 4 ton bottle jack in my truck. You'll need to have an assortment or blocks too like a 6"X6"X 12" or so, a 4X4, even a piece or 2X4. The bottle jack is limited in lift range by the lift cylinder and it's screw shaft. But you can lift the truck in increments by using blocks. Jack the frame only unless you are on a garage floor where you could lift the truck just to put jack stands under it. I've safely done this for years and in some tricky situations. I strongly suggest you pay close attention to safety.

• hadad
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Truck Jack

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what's the best type of jack to carry around in your truck?

like a 1/2 ton 4x4 truck. Do you like the factory jack, or do prefer any particular aftermarket type jack? And do you jack up the axle/suspension, or body/frame?

Source(s): 39 type jack carry truck: https://tr.im/BdjSg
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Had a great hydraulic 2 ton bottle jack. Yard sale find. When flat tire time arrived,the jack was next to useless. It wouldn't fit under the frame. The flat tire had lowered the ground clearance. Moral of story, make sure any jack you get will fit. Flat tires always happen at night ,in a rain storm , in heavy traffic , on a deserted road . Moral of story , simple is better . Jack at the axle

• 3 years ago

Best Bottle Jack

• Carrie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/aw1UZ

My kind of guy has be outdoors kind, likes to hunt and fish, works hard, plays hard, sort of a jack of all trades, and drive a big truck!

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

floor jack, axles and suspension.small floor jacks are very cheap,they are heavy and tough to stow,in that case go with a bottle jack,they can be used to push out metal in the event of an accident.

• 10 years ago

floor jack or bottle jack type btter than stock that comes with both cost you less than a 50

• Anonymous
    4 years ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.