promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

If the South had won, would the Monroe Doctrine have been stronger or weaker? explain.?

If the South had won, would the Monroe Doctrine have been stronger or weaker? explain.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

While I agree with the reasoning stated by the first answerer, I disagree with the conclusion. I believe that if the South had won, the Monroe Doctrine would have been stronger. Southerners had long expressed interest in exerting more direct control over nearby areas in the interest of the expansion of slavery.

Southerners had periodically expressed a desire to expand US slave-holding territories by annexing Central American and Caribbean locations. The Ostend Manifesto was an example of such desires. William Walker’s invasion of Nicaragua also appealed to Southern efforts to expand slavery into other areas. The idea of the expansion of slavery to such areas was very popular in the South before the Civil War.

Note also that major European powers such as Britain and France had outlawed slavery.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Weaker - It's easier to drive a wedge between two separate entities than it is to break an complete one apart. Put another way, different political policies for two different countries would have made it easier for Europe to start making mischief in the new world again.

Source(s): BA in History
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.