Christians - who is your Saviour? Christ Jesus or Jehovah? And can there be more than one Saviour?

I ask this question because Jehovah's Witnesses say they are the only true Christians and in their New World Translation of the Bible it says (in Isaiah 43:11) that apart from Jehovah there is no saviour. So is Jehovah their saviour, or is Christ Jesus their saviour?

In my New International Version, Isaiah 43:11 says that apart from the LORD, there is no saviour, but Christians call Christ Jesus their Lord and their Saviour. How can this be, if there is only one Saviour?

There are some 30 references in the Old Testament that declare the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY is the only saviour of his people, but then, in the New Testament, there are some 20 references that declare Christ Jesus to be our saviour.

Who is your Saviour?

Didn't realise that Catholic 17 asked this question yesterday - but thanks for mentioning it. Oh, and I won't be giving anybody a thumbs down - if you get one, it wasn't from me!

Thanks for joining in, Explorer. I understand that Jesus is Emmanuel, God with us.

Appreciate the points being made about Isaiah 43:11 meaning that Jehovah was Israel's saviour. However, as Anna points out, when we go to Matthew 1:21 the angel tells Mary to call him "Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins." This is quoting Psalm 130:8 which says that the LORD will redeem Israel from all their sins. Yes, there was a literal fulfilment in Old Testament times of Israel being saved by Jehovah, but why are these OT verses applied to Jesus?

Franz makes this point and also quotes from Acts 4:12 which clearly shows there is no name whereby we can be saved other than that of Jesus Christ.

With regard to Jude, verse 25 the Authorised Version does not contain the words: "THROUGH Jesus Christ our Lord". I believe this is because of the manuscripts selected for use in the NIV and the NWT.

Do Jehovah's Witnesses acknowledge that Jesus is their Lord and Saviour, or is it Jehovah who is their Lord and Saviour?

I acknowledge Ginosko's edits and appreciate the various translations of Jude verse 25 that include the words 'through Jesus Christ our Lord."

So Jesus is your saviour THROUGH Jehovah?

Sorry, got that wrong - the Jehovah's Witness view is that salvation comes FROM Jehovah through Jesus, right? Like Jesus is Lord but Jehovah is Sovereign Lord and Jesus is a god and Jehovah is God?

Best Answer

There is no other name under Heaven by which man can be saved other than through the name of Jesus Christ! God the Father will not honor any other name, religion or faith!

Please note the extreme power and authority on the first four verses listed below. These first four verses specifically tell us, without any other possible interpretation, that Jesus Christ is the only way to be able to receive eternal salvation from God the Father.

"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)

"For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all ..." (1 Timothy 2:5)

"There is one body and one Spirit ... one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all." (Ephesians 4:4)

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6)

"I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and find pasture ... I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." (John 10:9)

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life, he who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die." (John 11:25)

Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life." (John 8:12)

And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger and he who believes in Me shall never thirst." (John 6:35)

"I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world." (John 6:51)

"... whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:15-16)

"He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." (John 3:36)

"Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins." (John 8:24)

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life." (John 5:24)

"... And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; He who does not have the Son of God does not have life." (1 John 5:11)

"And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son as Savior of the world. Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God." (1 John 4:14)

I do not see any other interpretation as to what these verses are trying to tell us other than Jesus Christ is the only way to God the Father and His dwelling place, heaven! I don’t think God the Father could have made things any more clearer than by the way He has worded all of the above Scripture verses!

Jesus Himself said in the New Testament that He did not come to bring peace - but division! What He means by this is that He is drawing a major battle line in the sand. You either believe in Him and everything that He stands for - or you do not. There are no middle or neutral grounds on this issue.

Jesus came to saves us, so the question is simple to answer, but we need to believe!

Christians like myself who believe that Christ pre existed before He was incarnated know He was always destined to be the sacrifical lamb. God the Father was not destined to be the sacrifical lamb, Christ Jesus was.

This is the way I understand it to be:

The Father works through the Son in handing over all power to Him. Prior to Christs incarnation the Lord God was One, does this mean there was only ONE being? No. The Lord God was ONE, but there is plurality on many occasions when we look at the manifestations of the LORD GOD.

At Creation The Lord God/ Jehovah CREATED all things through Jesus Christ.

Q. Who was the Creator ?Jesus Christ or the Father or the Spirit?

A. The Lord God....all 3 of the Godhead were present in one joint purpose. The Father Created through the voice of the Son and the movement of the Spirit.

Throughout the journey of Moses and the israelite 'Salvation' from Egypt , Jehovah was the SAVIOUR but in the SAVING whos blood played the covering role? The promised messiah in the form of a the symbolic lambs blood.

Q Who is the Saviour mentioned in Isaiah?

A The Lord God .....the God of ONE purpose- the redemption of man through the Lamb...this required the SENDER and the SENT.plural.

.With the incarnation of the Son into human form Jesus, the symbolism of the Messiah became reality. God the Father again was the SAVIOUR who was the SENDER through handing all responsability for redemption over to Jesus the Son, the SENT.

Salvation needed the Sender, the sent and the saved.

So The Saviour is the LORD GOD (all 3)

but in sending His Son to pay the price of sin God handed over the the reigns so to speak to the Son this is mentioned on several occasions in the NT and to which the Father then Honours the Son with LORDSHIP.

Acts 2v 35

34For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

35Until I make thy foes thy footstool.

36Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

When God is mentioned in the same sentence as Jesus it means God the Father, so God the Father made Jesus LORD until all His foes are made Christs footstool.

i.e. Until all sin is dealt with and sin is no more.

So Jesus Christ is our Saviour, given authority and power to redeem mankind by the Father.

Again

Salvation was the purpose of the Lord God. The Saviour has been and is The Lord God, The One true God who is the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit.

My Saviour is the the SENT but He could not be SENT without the SENDER...

If you are a Christian, then they are one in the same. You see, Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus was actually a separate entity (as their beliefs are based off Arianism) than God. Most of Christian orthodoxy would reject this and would label something like JW as a cult as it deviates from church (most protestant and Catholic) teachings.

Now, why do we believe this? A few reasons. There are references in John where Jesus refers to himself as "I am" in John 8 - literally using the old testament name for God as himself. He accepts worship from the blind man in John 9 where angels would not accept worship in other passages. There's a lot to be said here but safely to say, Jesus did claim to be divine and did claim to have dominion over nature (ex. calming of the storms), demons (Jesus exorcising the demoniac), and even the power to forgive sins (see Luke 5 - which only God alone had the power to do).

Secondly, there are discrepancies between the JW translation and what are the canonical gospels. The canon we can trace back to original sources (I think the Sinaiticus is the oldest that I know of). There have been hundred of translations and copies, to the point where you can follow the work of a translator about why they chose the words they used to translate the script. In JW copies, you won't find the names of the translators within their pages. This is from a prohibition of citing sources from the Watchtower. If I think a canonical translation to be inaccurate, I can find the translator and see where he could be wrong. This is the possibility of verification where as the JW Bible (The New World Translation) doesn't have equal verification. Also, there are some translations which make no grammatical sense in the original Greek. John 1 in the NWT, for example, is one of these passages.

So, in Christian orthodoxy, the person of Jesus and God the father are both parts of the same divinity (i.e. heads of the trinity). I believe, and many other Christians believe, the canonical gospels to be a more accurate and more faithful representation of the truth than texts who state that Jesus is not God. It is the same savior. So, asking this question to most Christians would a false choice.

Hi GreyTower,

The context in which this is said is deliverance from Babylon and also the God gathered his people togeher to show them that he was superiour to the other gods in prophecy, also salvation could refer to the coming of Jesus Christ our untimalte salvation. Do not be confused by the Jehovah witnesses.

Jesus said that he was the only path to God. According to Acts 4: 12: "...neither is there salvation in any other; for there is none other name under heaven given unto men, whereby we must be saved." That name is Jesus Christ. Who was Luke talking about? He was talking about "Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified" and " whom God raised from the dead" - read this in verse 11.

The name never loses its efficacy in any other language in which it is spoken. It is effectual and just as anointed if it is spoken in Spanish, English, German, Greek or Hebrew. That is why healing, deliverance and salvation can be obtained among all peoples, tongues and nationalities. If one had to stick to one pronunciation for all peoples then the mission of the Jesus would not be accomplished.

Matthew 24: 14 "And this Gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. Here in this verse it says "all nations." But the nations of the world use their own equivalent for Jesus Christ - which in the Greek New Testament is Iesous Christos - not the English Jesus christ!!. In Hebrew, it is Yeshua HaMasciach or Jesus the Messiah

As long as the nations use their translations of The Saviour who atoned for our sins through his blood it is fine.

"Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father" (1 John 2: 23) He that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. One cannot get to God through any other pathway. Jesus said that "I am the truth the Light and the Way, No man cometh unto the Father but by Me (John 14: 6).

Do not mine the Jehovah Witnesses who say that Jehovah is the real pronunciation for God because there is no '"J" in Hebrew and Jehovah is an anglised version of the the tetragram Yud, Hay Vav Hay = God. The Hebrews who were afraid to pronounce it, forgot it, but some still say YHWH. Whatever language equivalent you use, remember that the Jesus you are referring to is God incarnate in the Flesh and through blood you are saved by grace throught faith. Jesus is not the Archangel as the Jehovah Witnesses believe.

• Pamela

Ok I was never a Witness but I did study with them for some time. Witnesses believe that Jesus Christ is the savior sent by his father Jehovah. Christ is the Messiah. The separation from trinitarians is that JWs do not believe that Jesus Christ is a form that God takes, rather he is a separate entity, The Son of God.

Reading the book Isaiah in its entirety or at least the context of Isaiah 43:11 will be very helpful, I suggest doing so.

The verse speaks of deliverance of Israel from Babylon. Please read v14,15 of the same chapter. There is no one else other than Jehovah who can save Israel that time.

Yes, Jesus is savior. NT clearly shows us that. He saves us from sin and death by giving his perfect life. But who sent him? Will his sacrifice be possible had Jehovah not sent him? (John 3:16).

Ginosko made a very good point. I hope you will take it to consideration. =)

Good day!

rutch

If Jehovah had not sent him, how could he have saved me? If you believe that he is Jehovah, why are you splitting hairs? You say Jesus is God, then why do you want to argue about the Christ? Jesus is my savior because Jehovah sent him to be Just that. I thank God for him. Glory to the lord on high! Hallelujah.

• Paul

Interesting, you have made an excellent case for the doctrine of the Holy Trinity.

You may also want to recognise the Holy Spirit's soteriological role:

Ephesians 1:13-14 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession--to the praise of his glory.

Yes, The father, son and spirit although three seperate beings are one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

Christ Jesus is the only WAY to salvation.John 14:6 Jesus says,"I am the way the truth and the life,no one comes to the Father except through Me." Jehovah, the title given God the Father in the

Old Testament. But, as a Christian you believe in the "Trinity",so technically the they are one in the same.Romans 6:23 Says,"The wages of sin is death but the gift of God (Jehovah) eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Source(s): Scripture.

Jesus Christ and God are the only Saviours!

Power over people is very attractive to s certain type of person. The most power stems from power over peoples minds. Religion is an ideal vehicle. Because of this the Chuches around the World constantly divide into separate power groups and claim to be the chosen lot until it is a farce.

There can only be one 'God' otherwise they would all be fighting each other too.

Any question you ask has been studied by church scholars long ago and a clever aznswer found. It is called dogma and they stick to it.