? asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Who can or how do i put horse shoes on my horse?

I live in the woods so we ride on trails and and a lot of the trails are rock. i would love for some one to do it for me but where do i find them? if i have to id do it my self!

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This is not something you could do yourself, you must hire a professional. However, your horses don't need shoes. You can adjust his hooves to the rocks and hard ground without a problem, there are plenty of barefoot trail horses living and being ridden in the Rocky mountains over rocky trails every day that do very well. I rode my TB mare barefoot on some VERY rocky trails in N. Carolina and Idaho and she was fine. If you are just worried about it, buy some boots like EasyBoot or Old Mac and there are several new brands on the market now. This does the same thing of protecting the sole but doesn't require nails thru your horse's feet, therefore not causing any soundness problems, plus it is easy to do yourself! Also a good book I keep on my shelf on barefoot care is:

http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Owners-Guide-Natural-H...

Shoes aren't needed in today's world. They were invented for a time when horses were poorly kept in stalls all day and worked hard on cobblestone streets. We just don't do that anymore. I think there is a short bit on the history of it in that book. But anyway, boots are very functional, easy to use and protect soft soles. Best wishes and happy trails!!

Boots:

http://www.easycareinc.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Hoof-Boots-Size-Black/...

http://www.cavallo-inc.com/hoofboots/index.html

The cavallo site has a lot of options too in the way of studs and styles.

Source(s): 25 years of training and experience, proud owner of sound barefoot endurance horses!
  • Bliss
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The short answer here is

DON'T!

Please allow your horse's hooves to do what they were intended to do - shoes prevent hoof mechanism and lead to all manner of soundness problems. Does your horse limp when on the trails? If not, then keep him/her bare and let the hooves continue to get tougher and stronger. If there is some tenderness, then a set of hoof boots will give better protection against rocks than shoes could when you need it, but still allow the hoof to expand and contract to assist in circulation, and you can just take them off at the end of the ride. Boots are also much less expensive than shoeing. A set of boots can last thousands of miles and many years, depending on how much you use them. Until you are confident in applying them, keep a close eye on your horse's feet while riding. It's a real bother to retrace all your steps in search of a lost boot, or buy new ones because they got lost.

You can learn to trim hooves yourself. The key here is *learn*! Don't just buy a set of tools and start hacking on your horse's feet!

Educate yourself on the anatomy and function of equine feet. Learn how to trim for continually improving soundness. Study nutrition and how it affects foot health.

Until you've gotten a clear understanding of how to trim, ask other horse people in your area for a good trimmer. There are also websites that offer names of trimmers by area. I have nothing against farriers, but they often don't understand how a bare hoof is designed to work, so they trim as if they were going to put shoes on. A physiologically correct barefoot trim is very different from a shoe-prep trim. Many horses that were gimpy with a traditional farrier trim came sound with a good barefoot trim, even what we call rock-crunching sound.

Keep your horse healthy and strong; keep its feet bare.

If you absolutely believe you must use shoes, please don't try to apply them yourself! There is SO much that can go wrong when even a trained professional nails iron onto horses' feet. Not knowing how, you could lame your horse for life, and get yourself bunged up badly in the process.

Source(s): hoofrehab.com - Pete Ramey's website that outlines many therapeutic and preventive trimming techniques Personal experience, riding my sound horses barefoot on seriously rocky trails and paved roads every day for years
  • 1 decade ago

Whoever told you to do it yourself has no freaking clue what they are doing, or they are just on crack. Farriers go to school for a reason, and someone untrained has no business trying to nail a shoe onto the hoof, and certainly you don't have the tools to heat, form, and apply the shoe!

Google "Farriers in (Enter State here) and you'll likely find a list. You could also spring for some Easyboots or something like that, which are like a boot for your horse. They can be pricey though if you get good ones.

• 1 decade ago

This is a highly technically skilled procedure. You should not attempt it your self without extensive training. A good alternative. Measure your horse's feet, buy a set of Easyboot Epics with a gator. Then you can ride anywhere you want to go and your horse's feet will be protected. Then back home, he can be naturally barefoot which is best for him anyway. Easly solution and certainly the best one for the horse. forget about the shoes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Its easy, google farriers in your area and find one that has alot of experience and knows alot about horses. You do not want an ammiture touching your horses feet, with the wrong move it can make your horse lame for weeks. And dont try to do it yourself, just call a farrier.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You should ask local horse riders how they use as their farrier. It is generally not safe to apply your own shoes if you have not had special training, because you could seriously mess up your horses' feet and make them lame for life. Shoeing is expensive, another route you could try is easy boots if you are worried about rocks.

Source(s): 11 years of riding/showing AQHA and APHA horses in local, 4-H, AQHA, and APHA shows. 5 years competing on the Horsebowl and Hippology teams. 2008 National champions in Hippology Team Problem section, 2009 National Horsebowl champions. 3rd individually in the nation for Horsebowl, top state individual.
  • 1 decade ago

Do not do it yourself! Call a farrier to do it. You can get pads on then but the only bad side is that you can't get then in puddles or lakes etc. They also have a boot that slips over the foot make for water activities such a beaches. Shoes are a must to me!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Shoeing a Horse Is Not A DIY Project for a Novice.

• sazzy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

DO NOT even attempt to shoe the horse yourself.

Guaranteed you will do it wrong, and doing it wrong can cause the horse to go lame permanently. Don't go anywhere near shoeing unless you're a trained farrier.

Look in your local tack shop/news paper - they're always advertising farriers.

• 1 decade ago

brantley you will not be able to do this yourself at all...so since you are a horse owner call a blacksmith.

google is your best friend here.

it would be like me trying to pull my own teeth becausei live in the woods, and dont want to go to the dentist.

there are professionals for things we DONT know how to do.

if u try this yourself you will likely get kicked in the face the first bad nail you drive in, or the first wack of hoof you chop off down to the quick..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.