Why must I let hot food cool to room temperature before putting it in the fridge?

I recently read that after cooking a pot of hot soup, it should rest on the counter until it reaches room temperature before putting it into the fridge. I understand that putting something hot into the fridge will raise the temperature and compromise the other food, and am familiar with the 40-140 degree... show more I recently read that after cooking a pot of hot soup, it should rest on the counter until it reaches room temperature before putting it into the fridge. I understand that putting something hot into the fridge will raise the temperature and compromise the other food, and am familiar with the 40-140 degree "danger zone" where bacteria thrive, but is there something else to it? I put a hot chicken parm hero straight into the fridge the other day and when I ate it the next day, I got violently ill.