Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

why do my hands shake slightly?

I'm very healthy i swim for my county i train 2 hours a day so in my opinion im very fit i eat all the good foods but i have this slight shake in my hand a very slight one but my mum says its because of the xbox because i do play it alot i never get ill and i find it unlikely i got Parkinson's because both sides of my family are very healthy and have never had any sort of Parkinson's disorder in them

• Mags
    Favorite Answer

Being healthy does not mean that your body does not react to stresses of all types. How is your blood pressure? You do not talk about when these tremors occur so it is difficult to determine if your tremor is a resting tremor typical of early Parkinson's disease or the action or intention tremor typical of Essential Tremor and several other conditions including generalized anxiety.

Athletes talk about having shakes after vigorous exercise. It seems to be especially common in cyclists. You may be experiencing a drop in blood sugar resulting in tremors.

You swim hard and you play hard. You are competitive and that creates some inner body tension.

What is your posture when you are playing Xbox? It is not unusual for tremors to occasionally occur with heavy computer-type game playing. They are both a challenge and an outlet for stress.

If you feel that this is a matter for which you want a medical opinion, begin by creating a family medical history of all known and diagnosed conditions of your blood relatives including those who are now gone. Ask your adult relatives about what they remember. Keep a copy for your own records, you may want it in years to come. One copy will go to your doctor. Also make a list of any symptom, no matter how unrelated it may seem. This includes what you are doing when the tremor begins and what you were doing in the hours before. Also include a list of any medications you are taking. This list includes over-the-counter drugs and nutritional supplements. Because you are an athlete, also include a sample daily diet. There can be interactions in many substances.

While this is probably normal - lots of people have tremors or shakiness when they are stressed, tired, anxious, spend hours at the keyboard - it can also be a symptom of a more serious condition. If you have noticed anything else unusual about your body, your food cravings, it may be time to talk to a physician. Having written information makes it easier for them to take you seriously and to actually give the situation some thought and consideration.

Make sure that you are properly hydrated and that you are not depleting electrolytes. That you are eating small meals often enough. And that you are eating slow release carbs when you have heavy carb intake.

Although PD does occur in juveniles 2-20 years, it is usually considered to be genetic in this age group. ET is also seen as often being genetic. I think your answers lie elsewhere but I'm not sure that you have a specific health condition.

• izzy

Essential tremor is also called benign essential tremor or familial essential tremor. It is different from physiological tremor described above. It usually starts in the hands and arms and can sometimes become quite severe such that everyday activities like holding a cup can be difficult. The tremor is usually not present at rest but becomes noticeable when the affected body part is held in a position, or with movement. The term 'essential' means that there is no associated disease that causes the tremor. Essential tremor is known to be familial condition, meaning that it runs in families. This means that in at least 5-7 out of 10 people with essential tremor there are other members of the family with the same condition.