Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

crf150f vs. crf150r expert?

i am deciding rather to get a 150 expert or a 150f,i am 13 years old and 5'6. i learn quick but i want a powerful bike to keep up with the other guys through fields and woods and mountains. I have heard the expert has more power, but will it completely fail in the woods and mountians?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The 150R is a killer bike in the woods. It is the bike of choice for young woods racers these days, rarely ever see an 85 racing hare scrambles anymore. First off, understand that the expert is no faster than the regular 150R, same bike, different size wheels...that's all. Both 150R models are way faster than a 150F.....waaaay faster. Any high performance engine will have more long term maintenance than a low performance bike. It is simple physics. More RPM's means more friction which means more wear. At your height you will definitely want the expert model if you get the 150R. I moved my nephew to a 250F at 13 and 5'4" and he is way happier than he was on his 85. You might want to consider a 250F at 5'6". You will outgrow the 150 in a year or two.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Well for starters, never listen to this friend again when it comes to dirt bikes. The 150F doesn't have more anything than the 150R except weight, definitely not speed. You can hardly even compare these two bikes. The 150R is a far superior bike. The 150F cannot being ridden on a motocross track, but a 150R makes an awesome woods or motocross bike. Almost all of the mini class woods racers in my district are on CRF150R's, a few still on the KTM85XC. The 150R is just as reliable as a 150F. There is really no more maintenance on one than the other either. You may want to have the valves checked once a year on the R just because it is a high performance engine, but you're talking 30 minutes labor, so maybe $40 - $50 a year for that. Of course if you rode the 150R very hard it would need piton/rings more often than the F, but only if you ride the crap out of it. Higher RPM's mean more friction which means more heat and wear. At least on the R you have the option of going fast if you want. I test rode a 150F that I was considering as a pit bike and it was a dog, really slow!!!

• 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

crf150f vs. crf150r expert?

i am deciding rather to get a 150 expert or a 150f,i am 13 years old and 5'6. i learn quick but i want a powerful bike to keep up with the other guys through fields and woods and mountains. I have heard the expert has more power, but will it completely fail in the woods and mountians?

Source(s): crf150f crf150r expert: https://tr.im/JoZdt
  • justme
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The 150R won't "fail", but it will be way more susceptible to neglect and crash damage because of the radiator and it's higher state of tune. It will also need engine overhauls more frequently than the F but is still very dependable as far as motocross bikes go.

These 2 bikes are apples and oranges. One is a race bike with water cooling and far better suspension and brakes. The other is a time-tested and uber-dependable trail companion built to run forever with less maintenance. One is EXPENSIVE and the other is average priced.

If all you care about is hauling @$$ and roosting your buddies and money is no object get the R.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.