why does my internet connection keep saying local access only?

I have tried it at many different connections and it is definitely something with my computer. it will work fine and then suddenly it will say local access only for a few minutes then I'll see the little globe icon again over the two computers and it's working again. it does this everywhere I connect and no one else has trouble at my house with my connection. Sometimes it last hours and sometimes it lasts seconds but it delays downloads and makes life miserable. I have re started and reset and unplugged everything possible. Please help!!!!

Favorite Answer

Local access only mean that your computer is connected fine to the wi-fi router, but not to the internet. The first thing you should try when this happens is to use the hardware wi-fi toggle button on your computer. If you have none or don't know where it is, disable and then re-enable you wi-fi capabilities via any other method you choose. If that doesn't work, try restarting your computer. There are always the possible driver or hardware issues, but these methods seem to work 90% of the time.

Local Access Only

The site below has helped several people. It involves going into the registry editor, so if you're not comfortable doing that have a computer geek friend try it for you. Last resort is to have a PC tech rip you off by charging you $200.

• andrew

might want to try and update the driver.

go to Control Panel > Device manager. Look for the devices under "network adaptors." right-click one and go to properties, click the "driver" tab at the top and press update.