RHH: Off of ST's question...When did Liquid Swords come into the GOAT picture.....?

I saw majority of the answers pointing to Liquid Swords as being better than Illmatic but last time I checked that was never even in contention. I mean it has always been good but I never knew it was that good. I was going to say something when people started saying it was better than OB4CL but I was just assuming it was opinionated and preference, but I need to know now.........

What makes Liquid Swords a GOAT contender? Not what makes it good or classic, because I agree it is very good, but what makes it a GOAT contender?

LOL. Nexx I heard Liquid Swords enough times. I use to fall asleep listening to it and wake up and play it again. Hell I even had it in the car for a good bit.

Huey duh influence is what goes into GOAT and separates GOAT from good. Stop trying to sound smart you could have went over that in your head before answering.

But Liquid Swords has little to no influence on hip hop as a whole. That shyt might influence you to nod your head every other song but that's about it. Just about all albums in the top 100 and even on have a good mix of lyrics and production so what's your point. Nexx "a collection of hardcore punchline raps" if that's what you call it okay but I call it hip hop. GZA's to you must be what then a collection obscure hardcore punchline raps with beats that match. Most normal people they call that boring as hell.

All the answers in favor of Liquid Swords prove my opinion about this section. 95% emos who enjoy nerd rap using big words and seemingly deep metaphors.GTFO.

Favorite Answer

I've seen Liquid Swords mentioned as a GOAT contender ever since I first started listening to hip-hop. I personally think it's the best album of all time. Here's why:

Duel of the Iron Mic, Cold World, 4th Chamber, Shadowboxing, Investigative Reports, and B.I.B.L.E. are all outstanding beats. And I'm not just talking "oh yeah, that's nice" beats, I'm talking "OMG THIS IS THE DOPEST SH*T I EVER HEARD" beats. Production is subjective, but I mean really I don't see how anyone could disagree that those are some of the best beats ever made. It's because the beats create an atmosphere better than any other album. If you listen to nothing but the beat, you can already feel the song.

I've never heard a sound of emptiness produced better than the one in Cold World. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WAP_6zdqc

Youtube thumbnail

I've never heard a sound of corruption produced better than the one in Investigative Reports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo9N2tKHfRk

Youtube thumbnail

I've never heard a sound of discovery produced better than the one in B.I.B.L.E. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj2y5WZEjbU

Youtube thumbnail

I've never heard a sound of despair produced better than the one in Swordsman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N32Fs_W1NjA

Youtube thumbnail

And the lyrics, they're genius. You have to appreciate the amount of effort he put into the lyrics of this album. 36 Chambers and Illmatic were, for the most part, a collection of hardcore punchline raps. But the lyrics in Liquid Swords are just incredibly deep with an even higher level of complex lyrics. Seriously, YOU HAVE TO READ THE LYRICS to this album. The amount of things you will pick up that you didn't notice before is unbelievable. Here's the one that blew me away the most: http://www.lyricsdepot.com/the-genius/4th-chamber....

Overall it's just a phenomenal album. I could go on forever, so I better stop now. Give it a few more listens and you'll see why it's a GOAT contender.

EDIT:

"LOL. Nexx I heard Liquid Swords enough times. I use to fall asleep listening to it and wake up and play it again. Hell I even had it in the car for a good bit."

In that case, I don't really know what to tell you. I thought maybe this was a new album for you, and you couldn't fully appreciate it yet, but if you've already worn it out, maybe it's just not your thing. If you can't figure out why it's great, maybe you should just move on. But if you're willing to give it one more shot, something you should understand is that hearing isn't always the same as understanding. It only took me one listen to understand The Low End Theory, but I've listened to The Cold Vein at least ten times and I still don't understand parts of it. The first time I heard Liquid Swords, I graded it a 9 out of 10, but it just kept getting better and better each time I listened to it, and now it's a 10 out of 10 in my opinion. You'll understand why I'm telling you this a little later on.

"Huey duh influence is what goes into GOAT and separates GOAT from good. Stop trying to sound smart you could have went over that in your head before answering."

He said that because you said, "I mean it has always been good but I never knew it was that good". So basically what he's trying to say is that if you think it's good, you should understand why people call it one of the GOATs.

"But Liquid Swords has little to no influence on hip hop as a whole. That shyt might influence you to nod your head every other song but that's about it."

As I said in another question, if something's been beaten, it's been beaten. I judge albums based on nothing but quality. Don't get me wrong, influence is important, but it doesn't change an album's quality.

"Just about all albums in the top 100 and even on have a good mix of lyrics and production so what's your point."

My point is that Liquid Swords has the best mix of lyrics and production.

"Nexx "a collection of hardcore punchline raps" if that's what you call it okay but I call it hip hop. GZA's to you must be what then a collection obscure hardcore punchline raps with beats that match. Most normal people they call that boring as hell."

This is why I think you should seriously give this album another listen WHILE READING THE LYRICS. Hearing is not understanding, and it's pretty clear from that comment that you didn't grasp the album yet, because if there's one thing this album could never be, it's boring.

"All the answers in favor of Liquid Swords prove my opinion about this section. 95% emos who enjoy nerd rap using big words and seemingly deep metaphors.GTFO."

You've developed a lot of misconceptions about me and others in this section. I'm black. I'm the farthest thing from emo. I think Reasonable Doubt is the second best album of all time. I think El-P, Canibus, and other rappers like them are talented, but severely overrated. And if there's one thing I absolutely can't stand, it's when these Vinnie Paz wannabes type up their stupid little 16 bars thinking they're the dopest sh*t ever when they're NOT ACTUALLY SAYING ANYTHING. And yet I think Liquid Swords is the best album of all time. Why? Because it's completely the opposite of what you think it is. Liquid Swords is NOT nerd rap. He's talking about the slums. The exact same thing Nas was talking about in Illmatic, the exact same thing NWA was talking about in Straight Outta Compton, and the exact same thing the Wu was talking about in 36 chambers. But he put such an interesting new spin on it that it turned out more creative than all three of those albums. The metaphors aren't "seemingly deep," they're incredibly complex, but they're there for a purpose. GZA is NOT like RZA. He doesn't just ramble on about something scientific using big words as a form of punchline rap. There's actual substance in his lyrics. For instance, read the following lyrics:

"TOMMY ain't my motherf*ckin' BOY

When he fake moves on a n*gga you employ

Well I'll EMIRGE off ya set, now ya know godd*mn

I show LIVIN LARGE n*ggaz how to flip a DEF JAM"

If Immortal Technique was saying that, it would probably be a generic "f*ck anything that's part of the industry" rap. But GZA actually says it for a purpose. In the intro to this song he says:

"Lot of people, you know what I'm sayin, they be gettin misinformed

thinkin everything is everything, that you could just get yourself

a little deal, whatever, youknowhatI'msayin you gonna get on you

gonna get rich. And all these labels be trying to lure us in like

spiders, into the web, knowhatI'msaying. So sometimes people gotta

come out and speak up, and let people understand, that you know you

gotta read the label you gotta read the label if you don't read the

label you might get poisoned..."

That's one of the most creative things I've ever heard. Give it another listen, and try to keep an open mind.

Liquid Swords was actually in the GOAT picture before Illmatic was, even though Illmatic came out first. Back when they came out, Liquid Swords was the universally acclaimed album that every hip hop fan had and was calling one of the best ever, and Illmatic was just a cult album that most people hadn't heard. Illmatic didn't develop a following until It Was Written came out. It Was Written was popular, and when people would talk about it, the people who had heard Illmatic would say "If you like It Was Written you should check out his first album." That's how Illmatic started to come into the GOAT conversation. The younger generation of hip hop fans who weren't around think Illmatic blew up on day one, but that wasn't the case at all. Illmatic didn't make Nas popular. Nas's popularity made Illmatic what it is today. Illmatic really had very little immediate influence on hip hop. If anything, It Was Written probably should be considered a more influential album than Illmatic. I'm not saying Illmatic isn't an influential album, because it absolutely is, but it didn't have half the impact with which it's credited. Nas kept up with the trends in mainstream hip hop, which is why he's still popular today and today's hip hop fans recognize his accomplishments. Gza didn't follow along when mainstream hip hop made its shift, so he faded out of the spotlight. That doesn't mean his accomplishments and influence don't exist.

Source(s): Everybody covered the reasons why Liquid Swords belongs in the GOAT conversation, so I thought I'd give a little interesting history lesson.

I hate to sound cliche here, but Liquid Swords is one of a kind.

When I first heard the album, it was almost the equivalent of watching a movie. From the vivid imagery Gza exerts through his verses, to the excellent cohesion, the album is start to finish incredible. Not only that, but the dreary production combined with Gza's serious demeanor correlates perfectly with the weighty subject matter. Lyrically, hands down, the most creative solo album the Wu-Tang has to offer.

And with that, Liquid Swords is without question a GOAT contender, IMO.

• ?

i think your distinction between being a GOAT contender and being a good album doesnt actually exist.

if an album is good (using good loosely), it should be a GOAT contender. if an album is a GOAT contender, it should be good.

i think the only distinction that could be made is that for it to be a GOAT contender, you have to compare it to all other albums, which also adds in a factor of influence. for it to be good, you simply judge it based on its own musical quality, disregarding influence.

as a result, Liquid Swords is a GOAT contender because it beats out tons of albums. it was very balanced both production-wise and lyrically. not only that, Liquid Swords was a very unique album. just like with Enter The Wu Tang, GZA and the rest revolutionized the posse cut and how track after track is just ripped apart by ridiculously amazing rappers. plus, he took gangsta rap to an entirely new level. he kept the gore and blood, but instead of guns and b*tches, he has martial arts and ninjas and samurais. GZA didnt try to show the poverty in his neighborhood or how f*cked up the world is. it simply created a beautiful atmosphere, at least musically.

here is what GZA even said about his album:

"A lot of dudes write these street tales and they're so gory, 'cause they think gory is visual ... they're so literal, and so street level. You know, like crack spots and whatever. I wanted to write something and take it to a level where nobody's done it....'Cold World' was one of them. Lyrically, it's not my best work. Not at all. But the chemistry? Production? Overall, I mean, c'mon! RZA's atmospheric production? Yes. It's my best album"

thats why it is not only a good and classic album, it qualifies as GOAT contender.

plus, just as a sidenote, it was ridiculous how GZA went from his sh*tty debut album Words From The Genius to Liquid Swords.

The dark grimey production of rza and the lyrical metaphors, stories mixed perfectly.

The content was good to, like killah hills 10304, labels ( good concept), and cold world.

Plus it had BIBLE which is dam good. And GZA lyrical ability, wordplay was pretty amazing on swordsman and on all the tracks.

this is dope sht

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyt0tAwDAPc

Youtube thumbnail

• Lollipop is probably right.

Liquid Swords < Illmatic

Source(s): The voices I hear @ Huey: STFU @ Nexx: Nice! But you could just listen to the lyrics instead of reading them. The only reason why Illmatic is better than Liquid Swords is that Illmatic is raw, no gimmick, hip-hop. Liquid Swords is raw, but it's very gimmicky.

cosign Lollipop.

In 2008 when some white guy had it as an avatar. i forgot who it was. but everyone began following the liquid swords trend

not a GOAT at all

Source(s): git money git life