Can a person legally sell a cover song if they recorded their own arrangement of the song?

I'm recording a CD to sell and I want to put on there a cover I did of Beautiful Day by U2. I arranged it myself so it sounds different.

Favorite Answer

To record and sell a cover...even if it's your own version, you need to pay a royalty. ASCAP manages the copyrights to this song. If you fail get permission, it's a copyright violation and you can be sued. The license you purchase is based on the type of use and amount of CDs you expect to sell...so it's affordable. They aren't out to prevent you from making a profit...they just want a small cut, maybe a few cents per CD. According to ASCAP, this is the contact info for the rights to Beautiful Day:

UNIVERSAL MUSIC PUBLISHING INTERNATIONAL LTD

C/O UNIVERSAL POLYGRAM INTERNATIONAL

2440 SEPULVEDA BLVD

SUITE 100

LOS ANGELES, CA, 90064

Tel. (310) 235-4700

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout...

Tommy gave great advice

follow it

It's U2"s song,

You can NOT sell it legally without paying royalties

No!!!! You still have to have written permission from the OWNER and/or SONGWRITER of the song!!!! Or they can sue you......

yes you can, as long as you dont claim it to be your own song

no. it is still violating copyright laws