Erin asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

du hast rammstein translation question-- is it "you have" or "you have me?"?

I'm trying to learn German for some reason because I'm really bored, and I looked up Rammstein songs. It seems to me that in the "du hast" song he's just saying, "you have, you have, you have, you have, you have, etc.....asked of me," instead of "you have me," because it would make more sense that way, and he's just pausing after "you have". Since "mich" is relexive and goes with the verb "you have asked of me," it would probably carry over after the "you have" if you were to pause in the middle of the sentence????? well, there is probably something I'm not getting

Favorite Answer

"You have me" is correct, but incomplete. 'Du hast mich gefragt und ich have nicht gesagt' means "you've asked me (to marry you!) but I've said nothing." The "You have" plays on the German "du haßt" for "you hate" as it's a pun for the marriage proposal. But on the short, yes, "you have me" is correct, though understand that you have the rest of the sentence following it, it's a pun! :3

Source(s): 4 year german student

I'm not really familiar with the song so I looked for the lyrics...

Du

du hast (haßt)*

du hast mich

(4 x)

du hast mich gefragt

du hast mich gefragt

du hast mich gefragt,

und ich hab nichts gesagt

*Note: This is a play on two German verbs: du hast (you have) and du haßt (you hate), spelled differently but pronounced the same way.

So I would translate it this way....

you

you have (hate)

you have (hate) me

(4 x)

you have asked me

you have asked me

you have asked me

and I have said nothing

Hope it helps...Good luck!!

I'm not good at german, but I know a lot about Rammstein, so I just wanted to say, that Till (he wrote the lyrics) says that the whole "you hate me" theory is wrong, he just played the words so that everyone would think so :D

Du hast mich means "You have me"