high blood pressure problem?

How do you tell if a high blood pressure problem stems from a problem in the heart or kidneys?

I dont have high blood pressure an 18 yr old friend does and they've been trying to figure whats wrong for about 3 months and have gotten NO WHERE

Best Answer

Many things contribute to the development of high blood pressure. Most cases of high blood pressure do not have a specific cause and this is referred to as essential hypertension. About 10% of cases are from secondary causes, such as kidney disease, hormone excess (e.g. primary hyperaldosteronism) and some other rare causes. When high blood pressure develops in a young person your friend's age it is recommended to evaluate for these secondary causes. This is done with blood tests and sometimes additional testing. Your friend's doctor may have already evaluated her for some of these conditions.

Source(s): Physician

Don't mess around wondering what is causing high blood pressure. You need to see a family doctor or internal doctor and get the right medication for your kind of hypertension. If the first one doesn't work, there are many others to choose from. Hypertension can easily be controlled but you must find the right medication and stay on it.

Only your doctor can do that.. Common medications used to treat high blood pressure include Vasotec, Accupril, Altace, Capoten, Diovan, Benicar, Zestril, Avapro and many others.. i could go on and on.. Please get it checked out... high blood pressure is the silent killer...

Source(s): Cpht.. Medical Coding Student.

Your doctor, and only your doctor can tell you that. Do not listen to anyone else. I am a 20 year paramedic, and I could not tell you. I could guess, but that would be stupid of me. If you are worried enough about this to ask, then I suggest you see a doctor soon.

Source(s): Smart 20 year paramedic.