PLEASE help! Computer is shutting down by itself w/blue screen?

Hello, I'm not really a big computer guru and my computer has been acting really weird lately. I'll be doing something and all of a sudden it will shut down and a bright blue screen comes up with white lettering on it (sometimes it does it when I'm not even on it). This is exactly what it says:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8, to select Advanced Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x000000001, 0x804E60cc)

Beginning dump of physical memory.

Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your systems administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

Can any tell me what this all means and WHAT I CAN DO?! I can't recall installing any new hardware or software recently and it keeps doing this after anywhere between 5-20 minutes. It was doing it a few weeks ago and I just left it off for a whole day, turned it on the next and it hasn't done it since today. I also have McAfee anddid a scan on that and Housecall scans online. Nothing has come up.

ANY help please???

Its a Dell computer. The program is Windows XP.

Best Answer

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Most annoying problem. Ever. You're just working happily along when all of a sudden BAM, the Blue Screen of Death pops up and "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" very prominently appears. Generally with a cutesy little hex error towards the bottom of the screen. STOP: 0x0000000a, or something like it.

Sadly enough, every time I've run into it it's been a hardware error. Most commonly it is the CPU overheating. A close second would be bad RAM. The first thing I would do if you have this issue is to run the machine till it gives you that error, then immediately reboot it, go into the BIOS and check the CPU temperature. 3/5 times it will be way too hot. Go to the store, buy a fancy new heatsink with a ball bearing fan (don't need it binding like a bushing fan will eventually do), pick up some thermal grease while you're at it, and install. Your problem will likely go away.

If not, get some memory that you know is good, and test that out in the system for a while. Be sure to pull out all memory that is currently in the system, or this test will do nothing. If it stabilizes after that, then replace the memory permanently, shoot the old like a clay pigeon and have a nice day.

Sometimes though, especially with the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error, even that is not enough. This is where you get hardcore with the troubleshooting. In the BIOS, load Fail-Safe defaults, disable the onboard modem, sound, and LAN (where applicable). Take out all the cards, with the exception of video, and run the machine for a while. If the machine stays stable, then start adding/re-enabling the devices one by one. Keep in mind that modern motherboards share IRQ's across PCI slots, so try not to put a sound card and a modem right next to each other. They don't seem to think that's funny every once and a while. Anyway, do this one by one until you start crashing again. Whatever you put in last is the culprit.

Also, many newer motherboards' northbridges are actively cooled. Almost always by a bushing fan. Bushing fans tend to bind after a while. Since this chip controls the data stream between the RAM, video, and CPU, I'd say it's pretty important. If it's overheating bad things are bound to happen.

I hope this helps some. That is a list of the steps that I go through when I run into this blasted problem. If only the error messages were more specific...

I did not write this I reposted it by googleing the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Hope it helps though.

SOURCE: http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQU...

The other guys are right; personally I would start in safe mode, back everything up and system restore to factory settings. Regular maintenance of files and programs should help to prevent this in the future, this is especially true of the older OSes. If it's still a problem it could be a hardware issue. I dropped my laptop and had this problem because the hard disk tore itself apart. Managed to get Linux to work on it tho :)

oh, i had it before...

Ok, turn off the computer direct from plug, turn on, and it will go show the options to Turn on, chose the security mode, when it turn on, desinstall the MSN, MSN Plus!, MSN Discover, and every all inutil program, and restart, after that re instal the programs tht you more use, but don't install the MSN Plus! and MSN discovery toguether, if it doesn't works, format the windows

Source(s): My experiences

have you recently made any changes, If I am not mistaken that is a ram or video memory error

It is not virus related, it is hardware failure

what is the computers brand and model

virus corrupter windows

perform a repair installation

• ?

Ram has failed or hard drive has failed , or both to some degree.. ~