Everything about Yellowstone National park!?

Hi, I need information about Yellowstone National Park as much as possible.

1. Why it became a park

2. National history information

3. Particular challenges/problems which this National park is facing/experimenting

4. Potentila solutions or specific ways to meet/solve the challenges identified

5. One representative and fairly high profile food chain (invoving at least three trophic levels), in your National Park

6. The individual who pushed for National Park status

help me please! doesn't have to be long!

Thanks :)

• Buddy
    Best Answer

1. Yellowstone National Park became reality because of the efforts of countless people, but the historical reality of Yellowstone National Park happened because of the vision of a few men, those who shared and carried out that vision, and partly in compromise with those who had contrasting visions.

In more concrete terms, people dreamed that the national park idea should be applied to Yellowstone, they convinced Congressmen, Generals, and other influential men to join them, and they compromised the idea of a park completely outside the private domain to accommodate the powerful Northern Pacific Railroad. The combination of all three helped make Yellowstone a national park both in law and in fact.

2. The park is located at the headwaters of the Yellowstone River, from which it takes its historical name. Near the end of the 18th century, French trappers named the river "Roche Jaune," which is probably a translation of the Minnetaree name "Mi tsi a-da-zi" (Rock Yellow River). Later, American trappers rendered the French name in English as "Yellow Stone." Although it is commonly believed that the river was named for the yellow rocks seen in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, the Native American name source is not clear.

Yellowstone was the first national park in the world. On March 1, 1872, President Ulysses S. Grant signed The Act of Dedication law that created Yellowstone National Park.

3. a) Yellowstone's bison are wild and they do not recognize political boundaries. Some bison that are leaving the park carry the disease brucellosis.

b) Winter recreation in Yellowstone National Park dates back more than 50 years and continues to grow in popularity. Controversy about winter use also has grown as scientific data revealed real and potential damage to wildlife, human and the ecosystem.

4. a) solution to bison management: A group of cooperating agencies have agreed to more intensively manage bison that leave the park because some bison carry the disease brucellosis. These agencies are committed to reducing the possibility of bison transmitting the disease to domestic livestock.

A bison management plan, agreed to by federal and state agencies, has been in effect since December 2000. The plan is founded on the principle of adaptive management and provides the agencies opportunity to gain knowledge and experience before proceeding to the successive steps. The biggest challenge is learning if bison and cattle can be separated successfully outside the park.

To meet this challenge, the plan calls for phasing in greater tolerance of bison during winter in special management areas outside Yellowstone National Park. The adaptive management principle allows refinement of the plan as managers and scientists learn more about brucellosis, bison, cattle and their management.

b) To address these problems, the National Park Service has developed a winter use plan, which is based on scientific data and included thousands of public comments. The plan, and the final supplemental environmental impact statement (FSEIS), were released in February 2003 and will be implemented beginning in the winter of 2003 - 2004.

5.

6. Individual who pushed for National Park status is F.V. Hayden

Park creation

In 1871, eleven years after his failed first effort, F.V. Hayden was finally able to make another attempt to explore the region. With government sponsorship, Hayden returned to Yellowstone region with a second, larger expedition, the Hayden Geological Survey of 1871. He compiled a comprehensive report on Yellowstone, which included large-format photographs by William Henry Jackson, as well as paintings by Thomas Moran. His report helped to convince the U.S. Congress to withdraw this region from public auction; on March 1, 1872, President Ulysses S. Grant signed The Act of Dedication law that created Yellowstone National Park.

• Sarah

I just got back from there last month. Some must sees are (obviously Old Faithful, but it wasn't my favorite geyser) Yellowstone Inn., Yellowstone lake (hard to miss), and ALL of the falls (the falls are just amazing!), Mammoth Springs (when I was there, there wasn't any water flowing through them so they weren't as cool as the pictures), actually the whole Mammoth area at the North end of the park is cool, the Grand Prismatic Pool, and the West Thumb Geyser. My favorite geysers were the Beehive Geyser, and another one that started with an "a" (it was called anenomie, or something close to it) Most likely the three most common animals you will see are Bear, Bison, and Elk (And next month the Elk will have their antlers mostly grown out, and starting to get rid of their velvet) I never saw a Wolf, or Moose. Saw a few Coyotes, but only 3. I only saw 2 Bears but it still had about 8 feet of snow in some parts of the park. Also, don't be rude like other people are, and stop in the middle of the road to take pictures of animals (unless it's a Wolf or something you might not see a lot.) Definitely DO NOT stop for Bison, unless you're at a pull out or something. Because you'll see hundreds. (I saw AT LEAST 200 Bison, and AT LEAST 100 Elk, but only about 17 Elk were Bull Elk [the kind that have antlers]) I highly recommend going through the town of West Yellowstone. That's a nice little town. I went in an Old Fashioned Candy shop that also made fudge, and... OH MY GOD! I don't like fudge but I liked theirs. (even if it might have been made with a mix) It has a lot of T-Shirt shops too. And over by the Yellowstone Inn. by the Old Faithful there is a fast food restaurant that I liked. I think it was called The Geyser Grill, it was really good. I recommend the Chili Fries, unless you don't like Chili.... or Fries, lol. And if you want to get Cell Phone reception drive along the lake and they are a few pullouts that have a few bars (I have AT&T) Anyway, I hoped this helped, it's really a nice place, but I don't like their road signs, it's easy to miss some roads. They also have cool stores (By the way every store is the same, lol. Just with different layouts maybe.)

Sounds like a homework question....

Go to the National Park Service website [or, just search "Yellowstone"] for lots of info.