Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

What is an "artistic movie"?

on Imdb movies like memento, big fish and requiem for a dream are rated very high and ppl alway say that's cause they are artistic movies. But what is an artistic movie exactly? When is a movie really artistic?

• -
    Favorite Answer

If you could define why something is art it wouldn't be art. If a film resonates with you, challenges your beliefs, makes you think, then I would call it art. It has nothing to with cinematography, it's popularity or anything like that. True art by it's very nature is intangible, if it wasn't what would be the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVPl6Hx-pd8

Youtube thumbnail

< There's a great film for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZUX1bObjYg

Youtube thumbnail

< and another.

• ?

I would think cinematography.

From watching 'Road to Perdition' where the story is simply drama but the way the camera moves and the lighting of the film really turns it into some sort of artistic masterpiece.

But some people develop a misconception that art films are vague & avant garde when in truth most of the greatest visual films I've seen have been praised by various sets of audiences.

When people label a film "artistic" it's specifically because of cinematography like a person above had mentioned. To me "artistic" is also giving an audience a depth of another dimension. Lars Von Trier I believe is director who falls into that category. The link below is a film by the director I mentioned. To me, specifically that's how I view "artistic" film.

I forgot to mention Old Boy and Moon, though not as heavy as Antichrist.

Clockwork Orange

2001 : A Space Odyssey

The Usual Suspect

Fight Club

Technically, any movie is a work of art: just like sculpture, paintings, drawings etc. But I know what you're saying. An art film usually has a very small budget; has fewer big stars; more little-known stars; has a message, often a social message.

• garon

in case you're greater inventive, it ought to advise you employ your genuine recommendations greater suitable than your left recommendations. i'm precisely the comparable way. i admire writing, arising issues, and that i'm very stable at spelling and analyzing. I suck at math. It in basic terms relies upon on what you savour doing the main. Do you like writing? Drawing? do you prefer to evaluation math? i think of human beings could chosen a profession that makes them chuffed.