How can i help my parents quit smoking?

My parents have been smoking a very long time and although they say they will quit it is very hard for them. It's getting on my nerves and i'm also getting nervous they might not live to long. any suggestions on how i could help them quit?

Best Answer

the good news is that i now have been quit for over 5 years.. i quit trying to quit alone, and joined a support group.. i attend nicotine anonymous meetings both locally and on line.. on line voice meetings are he as close as your computer, and you can attend while still smoking, before actually attempting a quit.. however you decide to quit good luck, there is simply no wrong way to quit!!

Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.

Source(s): check out this site for more info, as well as local meetings http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/ check out these sites for several daily online voice meetings & quitting information http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/voicesofnicot... http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/unofficialnic...

NONE of the government warnings on cigarette packets even works... if it did then no one would be smoking... you need a different approach... when you get in a conversation about smoking again, casually slip in the conversation that you would like to see BOTH of them at your wedding some day Also you could suggest or even buy for them "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr (from amazon ~ $10) This book has helped millions of people to stop smoking nicotine patches dont really work that well... great in the first week or so, not so great after a year. You cannot treat a nicotine addiction by prescribing more nicotine ! My sister and my hygenist have successfully quit (4+ years) after having hypnotherapy... You could suggest to each of your parents to pay for the hypnotherapy for each other...

A couple of points:

1. It is harder for women to quit than for men.

2. Women who breathe second hand smoke are more likely than men to develop medical problems (especially lung cancer) at some point in their lives.

I am not a member of the Seventh Day Adventist Church and am not advertising that 'religion' but that Church apparently has a highly regarded program for (not just its own members') cessation of the smoking habit. See if you can get some literature on their program from a church nearby.

Local health unit might help as well, especially if you 'luck out' and have a chat with a former (preferably female) smoker working there.

Good luck.

Hi! I quit smoking over an year ago ,and i really understand how your parents are feeling. A friend of mine reommended me a book to read which really helped me.At first i was laughing ,how can a book make me stop smoking.But it HELPED and i am happy now.Anyway your parents have nothing to loose by reading a book.

The book name is "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking " ,try to find it and download it free in the internet.Hope my advice will help your parents.

Source(s): http://www.all-meds-here.com , in case your mum wants to loose weight

Give them the method presented in this website. It helped me quit.

u can talk to them and show them how much you really care but the truth is they have to help themselves. They have to realize what they're doing is dangerous. My parents used to smoke and i tried everything to make them quit. You can't make them quit they have to help themselves.

Google self hypnosis, giving up smoking. it's SOOOO easy.