Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 1 decade ago

I play the oboe. Should I switch to the french horn?

My brother plays the french horn, and I really like the sound and the repertoire, so I was wondering if it would be the best to switch. I am really good at the oboe, especialy the second and third movements of mozart's oboe concerto, so mabey I should keep it up as well.

.

Favorite Answer

Well, with you playing the oboe, your embouchure will already be fairly fine tuned enough to play the horn. That is one of the most difficult parts about a horn is that you need control in your chops. All your pitches are so close together that the slightest slip will take you up or down a partial. Otherwise, the horn is a beautiful instrument and if played well can make even the most manliest of men cry lol. I have been playing French Horn for 10 years now and I believe it has the most beautiful and versatile sound. You can sound light and heavenly, dark and fierce, and when called for crass and dominant!

Source(s): Experience

If you love the repertoire of the French Horn, then switch. You will have more fun in the long run if the material is more inspiring to you. It might also be fun to be able to play with and learn from your brother. Both instruments are musically in demand, so either way you go you can earn some money performing freelancing when you get good enough. Every band I've ever been in was always very weak in Double Reeds and Horns.

I say don't let oboe die-keep it as a hobby and whip it out for holidays and such!

• Eric A

Playing horn can be amazingly fun, but I wouldn't switch just because of repertoire. There is a very rich amount of music for both instruments. The nice thing about oboe however is there are very few good players and finding gigs will not be much of a problem.

The instruments are similar in that they both have a lot of back pressure, are featured a lot in Orchestral works as solo instruments and produce a beautiful sound. Reed buzzing and lip buzzing is different as is fingering many keys as opposed to just three/four.

If you like playing the oboe then stick with it and learn it thoroughly. If you want to pick up a horn and try it do. Both are beautiful and rewarding instruments to play.

In all seriousness, do what you want.

In beginning band I played the clarinet and liked it until I discovered the bassoon. I wanted to switch SO BADLY but my band director wouldn't let me. That year she left and the next year I finally got to play the bassoon. I was so happy and worked my butt off. I have accomplished SOOO much on the instrument and I love it to death. It's my most prized possession.

So, as a fellow double reed I will say, "NO WAY! STICK WITH OBOE!!!!"

But, as someone who knows what it's like to be held back, I say, "Go for it. I like horn, too."

Source(s): Life experience lol :)

Switch as fast as you can. Every time an oboe is played a baby dies. Please, save the babies!