Happiness asked in HealthOptical · 1 decade ago

Equivalent spherical lens for someone with astigmatism?

I would like to order a brand of contact lens that does not have a toric counterpart, and I am trying to find my "equivalent" prescription. There is another catch, though: the lenses do not come in quarter increments of power, they only go up by .5. For instance, they offer -5.00, 5.50, 6.00, 6.50, etc.

Please tell me what contact lenses I should order if my prescription for astigmatism is as follows:

Right: SPH -6.25 CYL +2.00 AXIS 130

Left: SPH -6.50 CYL +2.75 AXIS 045

And please, no lectures on how I should just suck it up and get torics that correct my astigmatism. I already have some, but now I want these other lenses, thanks.

Favorite Answer

A spherical equivalent only works up to a certain point for contact powers.. You are way past that point. Using a spherical equivalent only works when the Cyl number is no greater than 1.00

That is a glasses prescription to begin with.

It has to be transposed first to a - Cyl format also to be workable...your prescription there becomes

Right : - 4.25 - 2.00 X 40

left : -3.75 - 2.75 X 135

Spherical equivialent is just adding half the Cyl # to the sphere, but only up to a maximum of .50...it never works higher than that.

Taking half the Cyl for the right eye for instance would become - 5.25 sphere...which would be way too strong for you. So taking -0.50 and adding it makes your right eye a - 4.75 Sph , but then vertex distance becomes a problem...so - 4.50 would be best...but you wouldn't have very good vision because all that astigmatism isn't being corrected.

The left eye is even worse...a - 4.50 SPH would be the best vision possible...and it would still be not good at all.

You have too much astigmatism to ignore it , and it's very doubtful you would get acceptable vision with a spherical lens.

My professional advice ??...Forget it , you won't like the poor vision you would get with them.

Source(s): Optician

I hate to lecture, but I honestly don't think you will be happy with the vision you will get from contacts that ignore your astigmatism. If you had just a small amount of astigmatism, you could get away with this.

For your right eye, you are -6.25 in one axis and 90 degrees from that, you are -4.25. Normally, they would split the difference, this would give you a - 5.25, but this would leave you over-corrected by a whole diopter in one axis and under-corrected by a whole diopter 90 degrees from that. You are really going to notice this. The situation with your left eye will be even worse. One axis is - 6.50 and 90 degrees from this you are -3.75 the "average"being -5.125. If the prescription you gave is for glasses, usually the strength for contacts will be slightly reduced vs that for glasses when it is greater than about -4.00 to account for the fact that the contacts sit right on your eyes, not spaced away like eyeglass lenses, so maybe you could get a -4.50 or -5.00 for each eye.

Again, I am warning you, I don't think you will be happy with them and you are probably wasting your money. Also, most of these on-line places won't even sell you contacts unless you have a valid prescription for them.

Most people believe that once they are diagnosed with some vision problem and start wearing eye glasses or contact lenses to correct them, they will have to do so for life in order to see better. Those who want a permanent solution to improve eyesight typically resort to Lasik or other corrective eye surgeries. But you you can also improve your vision without surgery and can see perfectly well without using eyeglasses or contact lenses. You can check here to know how https://tr.im/73ed3

You should base it on your eyeglass prescription.

We do not know whether you gave your eyeglass prescription or a contact lens prescription or something else.

If you are fitting yourself you might want to try:

-5.00

-5.00

The equivalent sphere for the Rx you gave is:

-5.25

-5.12

Source(s): Optometrist

1

Source(s): Naturally Improve Eyesight 20/20 - http://improveeyesight.uzaev.com/?RCla