Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 1 decade ago

what's the meaning of this song? Diamonds in the mine by Leonard Cohen?

The woman in blue, she's asking for revenge,

man in white -- that's you -- says he has no friends.

The river is swollen up with rusty cans

and the trees are burning in your promised land.

And there are no letters in the mailbox,

and there are no grapes upon the vine,

and there are no chocolates in the boxes anymore,

and there are no diamonds in the mine.

Well, you tell me that your lover has a broken limb,

you say you're kind of restless now and it's on account of him.

Well, I saw the man in question, it was just the other night,

he was eating up a lady where the lions and Christians fight.

And there are no letters in the mailbox

and there are no chocolates in the boxes anymore,

and there are no diamonds in the mine.

(You tell them now)

Ah, there is no comfort in the covens of the witch,

some very clever doctor went and sterilized the *****,

and the only man of energy, yes the revolution's pride,

he trained a hundred women just to kill an unborn child.

And there are no letters in the mailbox,

oh no, there are no, no grapes upon your vine,

and there are, there are no chocolates in your boxes anymore,

and there are no diamonds in your mine,

and there are no letters in the mailbox,

and there are no chocolates in your boxes anymore,

and there are no diamonds in your mine.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The song is about abortion.

"The woman in blue, she's asking for revenge" refers to a woman of lower class, while "man in white -- that's you -- says he has no friends" refers to a man of higher station. "The trees are burning in your promised land" refers to their sexual relations, with which a child was conceived.

"Well, you tell me that your lover has a broken limb, you say you're kind of restless now and it's on account of him. Well, I saw the man in question, it was just the other night, he was eating up a lady where the lions and Christians fight." This verse describes how the woman might be deluding herself, or her close ones, about the man in question. She comes up with excuses for him, but the truth of the matter is that, for him, his libido ("the lions") is fighting with his moral self ("Christians"), and he moves on to other conquests.

"There is no comfort in the covens of the witch" speaks of the regret and sorrow the woman feels are finding herself in such an evil place, whether those feelings come from the woman's permiscuity, or from having an abortion. Quite obviously, "he trained a hundred women just to kill an unborn child" is describing the man who slept with many women, and the one woman who ended up having an abortion.

The chorus, "and there are no letters in the mailbox, and there are no grapes upon the vine, and there are no chocolates in the boxes anymore, and there are no diamonds in the mine" means that the woman is not recieving the affections that are expected when one takes on a lover. She is not recieving letters in the mail; her box of chocolates is empty. "No grapes on the vine" might be a biblical reference about how she has already beared her fruit to the man, akin to Eve eating the forbidden apple. Finally, "there are no diamonds in the mine" may be talking about how the woman feels she has lost her worth because she allowed a man to use her in such a way.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

He's one of my all time favorite artists, and I'm going to have the honor of seeing him November 1st! My favorite Leonard Cohen song, and probably my favorite song of all time, is Hallelujah. Some others are First We Take Manhattan, Dress Rehearsal Rag, Chelsea Hotel #2, Suzanne, The Future, Democracy, etc... Happy brithday Mr. Cohen!

• lakey
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Diamonds In The Mine

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.