Seventh Grade Math Help?

Each week in my math class, we have a warm-up sheet that we turn in on Friday. There are six word problems. I need help on two of those problems.

Question 1: Solve It!

A street vendor had a basket of apples. Feeling generous one day, he gave away one half of his apples plus one to the first stranger he met, one half of his remaining apples plus one to the next stranger he met, and one half of his remaining apples plus one to the third stranger he met. If the vendor had one apple left for himself, how many apples did he start with?

Question 2: Investigate Data

Dana recorded the ages of ten of her cousins and displayed the data in a box and whisker plot with only one 'whisker.' Explain how this is possible. What ages would produce this type of box and whisker plot?

Can you guys help me out??

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

The vendor ended up with one apple. In the previous step, he gave away half of his apples plus 1 more. He must have had 4 apples. 4+1=5 and 2*5= 10 he must have had 10 apples, when he met the second stranger. Repeat the process once more, 10+1= 11 and 2*11= 22 apples. He had 22 apples.

and for the second one it says the answer will vary.

I'll give you the website so you can look at it yourself! It has the answers! :)

• 10 years ago

Question 1

Answer = 22

He ends up with 1. This means the last stranger he gave apple to, he gave 3 (has 4, gives 1/2+1 so he gives 3). The stranger before that was given 6 (1/2 of 10 is 5+1 is 6 and ends up with 4). The first person he gives 12 (1/2 of 22 is 11, plus 1 is 10).

So...

Starts with 22, gives 1/2 + 1 and ends up with 10. Gives 1/2 + 1 ends up with 4. Gives 1/2 + 1 ends up with 1.

In order to solve this, you need to add 1 to the number, then multiply by 2 (do the opposite of what the vendor does).

Question 2

The left whisker is for the lowest aged person and the right whisker is for the oldest person. The only way for a whisker to be missing is if the lower quartile is the same as the lower extreme or the upper quartile to be the same as the upper extreme. So, this means there are 3 people (a quarter) that are the same age and they are either the oldest or the youngest. It cannot be both of these because then there would be no whiskers. Therefore, it also cannot be all 10 are the same age.

• 10 years ago

Question 1: Reverse it!

He gave the third stranger half + 1 and had 1 left. x/2 - 1 = 1, so x = 4.

He gave the second stranger half + 1 and had 4 left. y/2 - 1 = 4, so y = 10.

He gave the first stranger half + 1 and had 10 left. z/2 - 1 = 10, so z = 22.

Check that: 22 - (11+1) = 10, 10 - (5+1) = 4, 4 - (2+1) = 1.

Question 2:

There are several conventions for setting the whiskers, but regardless, one whisker indicates outliers only on one end of the data set. Ages 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 and 10, for example.

• 10 years ago

Question 1:

Reverse the order! He has one apple left, then take the apple back from the third stranger, then multiply by 2. Continue going backwards until you have the starting amount. It should be 22.

Question 2:

If there is only one 'whisker' then that means that several of the ages are the same. This means that one side of the 'box' is the lowest or highest age. (more than one cousin must have the same age...the 'lower median' or 'upper median' and the lowest/highest age are the same. And because there are ten kids, this means that the youngest/oldest kids are triplets). The reason it can be the lower or higher aged kid is because the problem doesn't say which 'whisker' is missing, therefore the only whisker can be on the higher or lower side of the box.

(I'm assuming you know how to do a box and whisker plot) :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Start backwards for Question 1. He has 1 apple and just gave away 1/2 of the total + 1.

1/2 * x - 1 = 1

1/2 * x = 2

x = 4

So he had 4 apples before that. Do the same thing again.

1/2 * x - 1 = 4

1/2 * x = 5

x = 10

So he had 10 apples before that. Now we do it one last time.

1/2 * x - 1 = 10

1/2 * x = 11

x = 22

So, he began with 22 apples. You can check it to make sure.

• Doreen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I was like you too. I was really horrible at math until it took the right teacher to break it down and teach me how to approach it. And now I've been getting straight A's in math for 3 years. :) I would suggest to either have a study buddy (someone who understands math really well) or to just hire a tutor. Sometimes we don't understand a certain teacher's explanation on a subject and we need it to be explained in another way. After and during class, you need to ask a teacher to explain something you don't understand, preferably when she/he's explaining it in class. Being an active listener is the best way to learn a subject. Also, after school, see if there are teachers giving tutorials that you can go and listen in on. This is your time to ask questions and review material before tests and quizzes.

• ssssh
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

[1] 1.....4......10......22

22 - [11+1] = 10

10 - [5+1] = 4

4 - [2+1] = 1

1 apple left

[2] if the data were

10, 10, 10, 12, 12, 12, 14, 14, 14, 16

then lower extreme is 10 , lower quartile is 10, median is 12, upper quartile is 14 , and upper extreme is 16

the lower quartile and lower extreme are the same number, so no whisker there...........

• 10 years ago

Question 1: 22 apples

Question 2: There are no ages either below the lower median or above the upper median

• 10 years ago

5 apples

all ages are same

• 10 years ago

ummmmmmm my brain hurts and whyh would he give away apples hes dumb just write thats his prob not mine and turn it in see what the teacher says

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.