How can the Mayor of Las Vegas make the President's visit to "sin city" uncomfortable?

I just saw him on the morning news. A nice senior gentleman (Mayor) speaking out against our President who for the 2nd time has used his city as an example to people to save their money & not spend it foolishly. Thus hurting the economics of the City of Las Vegas and the people who reside in that city by planting seeds in the minds of the people who listen to the words of our Prez.

He states "Obama is a slow learner". Do you love this man or what? I think the Mayor of sin city is on to something by insisting that Obama do MORE than offer an apology to his fine City & the people who depend on the tourist trade to pay their mortgages!

What do you think about all of this? Was Obama wrong?

Larry E---Excellent point!

Riloh---People foolishing spend their $ traveling to other countries & the USA looses revenue. Spending our $ in Vegas or anywhere else in the USA helps to keep our country alive w/tax dollars. The entertainment industry is diverse. It's more than just going to a movie theater or buying a DVD. It's LIVE & depends on people to survive.

John---Why single out Vegas? I think this might be the million dollar question!

One negative reference to a person place or thing is forgivable. Two isn't. Is this going to be the start of a new war to take away the rights of the people by targeting the entertainment industry? Vegas is a lot more than just gambling. Obama might want to start thinking OUTSIDE the box on this one!

Favorite Answer

I almost laughed when I noticed you called our mayor, Oscar Goodman a "nice, senior gentleman."

Everyone here in Vegas knows he was a low-life lawyer for the mob back in the day.

He still seems to run things around here like he is still working for them.

I think Mr. Obama used Vegas as an example not to pick on us but because just about everyone knows what Vegas is about. If you just mentioned some small Indian casino or some off the track dive, nobody would pay any attention to what he was driving at.

I am a former Las Vegas table games dealer and my son is in management as a floor man in one of the well known casino's here in town.

We really couldn't care less if the town slows down and the casino's close.

Nothing is permanent and change is always good.

I actually would love it if my son got into another line of business.

Anyways, I don't think Obama was understood as to what he meant about people learning not to waste their money on unnessacery things like gambling.

In any case, I am not for or against our new president but I do know what Vegas is all about and it isn't a pretty picture.

• kate

For someone who gives other people's money away so freely, Obama has no room to talk about spending foolishly. Obama seems to be wrong much more frequently than he is right. I agree, gotta love the mayor.

Nevada went for Obama last election and probably wont go that way again. Whenever Obama speaks without his teleprompter he seems to get in trouble. He might be a slow learner but them he would have to change his name to Odumba

• OBAMA needs to apologize to everyone not just the mayor and he needs to pay back whatever he squandered in office

• john

Why single out Las Vegas? Are there not casinos within driving distance of most U.S. cities?

I agree with the mayor? No matter how much is spent in this city the government will always get their fair share them some.

The way Obama wastes money by having his jet fly him to places when the stuff could be done other wise,then he shouldn't worry about the money spent in Vegas or any other way a citizen wants to do.

Obama is giving the taxpayers money away just like if you would hit the jack pot on every roll.

las vegas depends on people wasting money to survive.

if people decide NOT to waste money, then that's too bad for las vegas.

obama doesn't owe them anything.

if you live in a place that depends on gambling, and people stop gambling to save money, then that's just how things go.

the mayor is a douche bag, just like bush,, trying to play off peoples fears

not only is he a slow learner but it is easy for him to spend other peoples money.

Source(s): does he ever stay at the white house? seems he travels more then any pres. in the past.