Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

da_guy8324 asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

I want to get my Multi-Engine rating with a VFR-only restriction,is this possible at a Part 141 Flight School?

I only see myself flying VFR in the future, as I don't want to be a flight instructor and I refuse to do single pilot IFR. I figured I won't be using my certificates much in the future and I could save money by doing a VFR-only limitation for an AMEL. I need to get my MEL rating to graduate- but to save money could I just get trained for VFR operations and avoid the IFR training? I've heard rumors that people have tried this only to have to repeat the ME rating with the IFR portion. I'll have my commercial pilot certificate and instrument rating (ASEL) by the time I start my training. Any insight?

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    No because IFR is a broad rating. A multi-engine rating doesn't take more than about 10 hours. I got my multi-engine before I got my instrument and when I took my instrument ride I had to do it in both SEL and MEL. If you have your instrument rating already, the examiner will require you to fly an approach under the hood and possibly some holding. He/She is not going to take the chance that you crash on his approval. It's not that big of a deal since the rating still only takes about 10 hours.

    Source(s): CFII MEL SEL
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You should probably check with your flying school. But I guess it is quite possible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.