Edmonds asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My Dog Is All of A Sudden Acting Lethargic (dazed and confused).cant stand straight, sways back and fo?

cant stand straight, sways back and forth. hes been fine up until tonite about 600 tonite. hopeingmy dog will make it through the nite. does any one have any advise or answers for why a dog would all of a sudden act like this? he still responds to a wistle but is drozy looking when he looks at me. happen feb. 1rst. 600 pm. please if anyone might have some kind of hope for me please help.

• B!nd!
    Favorite Answer

Unfortunately, the symptoms you have described arent good.

Please get in touch with your Vet immediately- call the after hours number if you can- even just to describe the dog to them and ask for their opinion.

You have described the symptoms of a dog going into shock- which is where the vital organs start to shut down, and the dog begins to die.

Your dog may not actually be going into shock- but the fact that he is displaying the symptoms is major cause for concern.

You need a vet ASAP- this cant wait until morning.

Dog Acting Lethargic

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

cant stand straight, sways back and forth. hes been fine up until tonite about 600 tonite. hopeingmy dog will make it through the nite. does any one have any advise or answers for why a dog would all of a sudden act like this? he still responds to a wistle but is drozy looking when he looks at me....

Source(s): dog sudden acting lethargic dazed confused stand straight sways fo: https://biturl.im/Z2Fo1
  • ?

Dog Lethargic

You really need to take your dog to the vet to find out as it could be a few different things.

Is your dog an elderly one? Is he eating anything?

My dog had those symptoms and it was little stroke. He got over it in a couple of weeks, thankfully, but he ate out of one side of his mouth for that time.

But again, nobody on here can tell you for sure what is wrong. There is usually an emergency number for a vet. Maybe you could look it up in the phone book and get him to one tonight.

((((hugs)))) I know what's it like. Hope everything turns out well.

Take him to a late night vet asap. Better safe than sorry. Call first - they might help you over the phone but likely they'll ask you to come in. If you don't want to pay the premium for an emergency vet be at the front door of your regular vet when they open in the morning. Any vet will do if you needed to pick one closer to your house. If he isn't sleeping well and he continues to get worse get him to the vet overnight tonight.

• Laredo

It can be a stroke or severe diabetes. He needs to see a vet NOW or he could drop dead. Mine had Cushing's disease and it caused diabetes. She started acting the same way yours is, I picked her up and held her and she died in my arms within 5 minutes.

Put your dog in a place where it will be safe and won't fall. I hope the vet can help the poor thing.

I am not sure, if you haven't already looked it up on google, you might want to. This happened to my cat before. It was a kitten. After it couldn't stand up without falling over, that night it died. I don't want to cause alarm, but maybe your dog ate something toxic? My family thinks that the reason that my kitten died was because it ate some bug killer spray that was recently sprayed around the house.

what age and what breed? If a young small breed pup, he may be hypoglycemic(low blood sugar). If so, get some sugar of some kind into his body, honey, karo syruo, even sugar water. If his sugar is too low he will die and you cannot wait until tomorrow. You have to get his sugar level up. If this is not the case, you really need to call an emergency vet.

• Lizzie

I can only guess, not being a veterinarian...a stroke? poisoning? something else?

This is definitely not normal behavior. I recommend that you take your dog to the emergency vet right away.