Birds in Canada, big ones?

A friend of mine has gone snow boarding for a few months in Jasper, Canada.

I am not familiar with the birds of N.America and Canada so I don't know what he saw, he said they where on a mountain, and 'looked like Vultures'

I was thinking some sort of Condor?

What do you think?

Thanks.

Best Answer

The condor is unlikely, since they are far more rare and mainly only exist in the south west regions.

I would suggest what he saw probably were vultures or ravens.

If vultures, the two most common species both have very identifiable characteristics.

The Turkey vulture has of course the fleshy pink/red head. Feathers are black.

The Black vulture is black (so the fleshy face is less obvious) but when it is flying there are two distinct white spots near the wingtips which are very visible on the underside of the wings when soaring.

The other bird that commonly hangs around cliffs are ravens. Ravens are larger than people often give them credit for, and if unprepared to see them might ring vulture in your mind.

Source(s): Wildlife Rehabilitation with all birds mentioned (I live in the northeast, but I read all of these are common to both areas) Birdwatching when vacationing in the west.

I don't think Condors go that far North, it could have been a turkey vulture (buzzards), bald eagle, or Goshawk.

it is a BECHI2 it looks like an eagle but smaller

google it they look like sommee weirdd birds..