Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Did Jesus say not to pray to Him but to pray to The Father?

But if Jesus is God - then are we not praying to Jesus as well? Or was that only when He was a man on earth?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

At John 14:14, Jesus said, "If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it."

At John 5:39-40, He said, "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life."

John 6:44: "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day."

John 6:45: "It is written in the prophets, 'and they shall all be taught of God.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me."

John 6:65: "And He was saying, "For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father."

Jesus has the authority to forgive sins. (Mat. 9:6; Mark 2:10; Luke 5:24)

Jesus has the authority to give eternal life. (John 10:28--"And I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.")

There is one prayer that MUST be directed to Jesus. If not, you can't get to the Father at all. You can't go through Jesus until you come TO Him.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

God the Father - God in Heaven

God the Son - Jesus - the God-man

God the Holy Spirit - The Omni characteristic of God

We are to pray to the Father. God (as Jesus) when He was on Earth lowered himself to be a human. Even though Jesus is God, Jesus represents the humanity in God while the Father represent the Creator, Orderer, etc. Remember, even Jesus prayed to the Father. Was he praying to himself. In a word, Yes. As a (finite) human, Jesus was still subject to the Omnipotent God. They are all equal because they are all the same. However they all have different roles. Jesus is the God-man, and messenger of God, the High-Priest, but yet is God.

Source(s): The Bible
  • 10 years ago

Jesus said that if we ask the Father in Jesus Name, the Father will hear. Also we can ask Jesus in prayer and He goes to the Father.

When we pray to God in spirit & truth, the is praying by the Grace of the Holy Spirit connection to our heart/spirit. So through faith in Jesus atonement for our sins, by the Grace of the Holy Spirit, we pray to Jesus or the Father in Jesus Name, by the Grace of the Holy Spirit.

I pray to Jesus more than I pray to the Father. The Holy Spirit has sealed my heart and I come boldly before the Throne of Grace in time of need. Even if I just want a friend to talk to.

The Father, the Son & the Holy Spirit are One Elohim / One Yahweh.

But the Holy Spirit is who has birthed our spirit/heart and is our heart connection with God the Father & the Son.

• 4 years ago

Jesus is the son. He express this over and over in the scripture. He even said the father was greater than him. I dont know how they have Jesus playing so many roles when he explain plainly his father is head of everything. He said he didnt even know when the appointed day is only the father. So pray to the father in jesus name.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Jesus did not mention praying to Himself directly. But yes He did say to pray to the Father. But you have to understand that Jesus and the Father are one. And yes Jesus is God and the Father and Spirit are God as well but all three are just one. In praying to Jesus you pray to the Father and Spirit as well and in praying to the Father you pray to Jesus and Spirit as well and in praying to the Spirit you are praying to the Father and Jesus as well.

• 10 years ago

In Philippians chapter 2 (verses 5-11), the apostle Paul records what is the oldest known "Creed" (or statement of faith) in the Christian church. It predates the teachings of Paul or the written gospels. He presents it as something that his reader should already be familiar with.

In that creed it speaks of Jesus being pre-existent in heaven as an equal with God before he took on human form. It says that there come a time when he made himself a servant (putting aside for a time his position as "God") and took on also the nature of a human.

During that time, he operate like any other "human". He limited himself to only the spiritual tools that other humans have: prayer, fasting, the scriptures, faith, laying on of hands, etc. He did nothing through his own divine power. He had to do this first to show that it was possible for someone to live a perfect life using only "human" abilities, otherwise God's condemnation of people for sinning would be unjust. He could not condemn them if it was not possible to live prefect.

Secondly, God had given certain rights and powers over to man. (Read Genesis 1:26-28 where God first creates man and tells him to "have dominion over the earth and rule it".) Man turned it over to sin and evil, so it had to be "a man" who got it back.

So while Jesus was on the earth, he function in the position of a human. During that time, it would have been pointless to pray to him as he was not answering prayer at that time. He spoke of himself as being "human" because at that time he was. Yet he also claimed to be divine, saying things like that he was already around and alive at the time of Abraham (1800 years before) and that they had meet (see John 6).

In human form, he was obedient to God the Father even to the point of death on the cross, according to the creed. Because of that, he was raised back up to heaven where he once again stands in the position of God. It is to Jesus that every knee is to bow (something that would be wrong if he was not God) and every tongue is to call "Lord" (the New Testament equivalent of Old Testament name YHWH).

It is proper today to address prayer to Jesus or through him to the Father. He is once again the office of "God" and able to answers prayers again.

• 10 years ago

WHEN a disciple asked for instruction regarding prayer, Jesus did not refuse to give it to him. According to Luke 11:2-4, he replied: "When you pray, say: Father, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins, for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation." (Catholic Douay Version) This is commonly known as the Lord's Prayer. It conveys a world of information.

For one thing, the very first word tells us to whom our prayers must be addressed—to our Father. Notice that Jesus made no room whatsoever for praying to some other person, image, "saint," or even to him. After all, God had declared: "I will not give my glory to another, nor my praise to graven things." (Isaiah 42:8, Dy) Prayers directed to anything or anyone other than our heavenly Father are therefore not heard by him, no matter how sincere the worshiper may be. In the Bible, only Jehovah God is called the "Hearer of prayer."—Psalm 65:2.

Some may say that "saints" act merely as intercessors with God. But Jesus himself instructed: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. Also, whatever it is that you ask in my name, I will do this, in order that the Father may be glorified in connection with the Son." (John 14:6, 13) Jesus thus ruled out the idea that anyone called a saint could serve in the role of intercessor. Observe also what the apostle Paul said regarding Christ: "He not only died for us—he rose from the dead, and there at God's right hand he stands and pleads for us." "He is living for ever to intercede for all who come to God through him."—Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:25, Catholic Jerusalem Bible.

Jesus is Jehovah’s most precious Son—and for good reason. He is called “the firstborn of all creation,” for he was God’s first creation. (Colossians 1:15) There is something else that makes this Son special. He is the “only-begotten Son.” (John 3:16) This means that Jesus is the only one directly created by God. Jesus is also the only one whom God used when He created all other things. (Colossians 1:16) Then, too, Jesus is called “the Word.” (John 1:14) This tells us that he spoke for God, no doubt delivering messages and instructions to the Father’s other sons, both spirit and human.

Is the firstborn Son equal to God, as some believe? That is not what the Bible teaches. As we noted in the preceding paragraph, the Son was created. Obviously, then, he had a beginning, whereas Jehovah God has no beginning or end. (Psalm 90:2) The only-begotten Son never even considered trying to be equal to his Father. The Bible clearly teaches that the Father is greater than the Son. (John 14:28; 1 Corinthians 11:3) Jehovah alone is “God Almighty.” (Genesis 17:1) Therefore, he has no equal.

Jehovah and his firstborn Son enjoyed close association for billions of years—long before the starry heavens and the earth were created. How they must have loved each other! (John 3:35; 14:31) This dear Son was just like his Father. That is why the Bible refers to the Son as “the image of the invisible God.” (Colossians 1:15) Yes, even as a human son may closely resemble his father in various ways, this heavenly Son reflected his Father’s qualities and personality.

Jehovah’s only-begotten Son willingly left heaven and came down to earth to live as a human. But you may wonder, ‘How was it possible for a spirit creature to be born as a human?’ To accomplish this, Jehovah performed a miracle. He transferred the life of his firstborn Son from heaven to the womb of a Jewish virgin named Mary. No human father was involved. Mary thus gave birth to a perfect son and named him Jesus.—Luke 1:30-35.

Source(s): watchtower.org
  • 10 years ago

Yes, Jesus said to pray to the Father. In the Holy Catholic Church we pray to the Father through the sufferings of his son Jesus. In the Holy Mass, we offer up to the father brad and wine to the Father that it will become the body and blood of his only begotten son Jesus Christ for us.

Oh my Jesus forgive us from sins, save us from the fires of hell

and lead all souls to heaven, especially those in the need of your mercy.

Eternal Father, we offer you the body and blood soul and divinity of your dearly beloved son,

Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and for the whole world.

For the sake of his sorrowful sufferings, have mercy on us and on the whole world

All of the prayers of the Catholic Church are directed to the Father,

His divine Son and His Glorious Holy Spirit.

• I know it is a hard concept for unbelievers to handle but Christ Jesus was Fully God and Man Who had no beginning nor will have no ending!

In the Very Words of Jesus He says that HE is God when He said He is the I Am of Israel John 8:58, John1;18

John1:14 and so on . Muslims and Christians Should NOT be Grouped together ! Muslims pronounce lies about The Very Son of God so that they can believe He was no higher than their false Prophet Mohamed !

This is a Lie proved OVER abd OVER Again and Again but they still Lie! Do they NOT fear God?

• 10 years ago

Christ recognized His humanity while here on earth............

But that did not take away from His Deity.

Therefore, we are to pray directly to God through Jesus Christ. This is why when we pray, we do it in His name

Edit

Dani - Christ referred to Himself as Yahweh on more than one occasion: John 8:58, John 10:30.

He was God in the flesh

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.