Follow up to the rape question yesterday?

There was a discussion yesterday about how we as a society need to do more to end rape. Smoe feminists say (and I quote): "Something more needs to be done then just telling women all the things she should do. [to protect herself]":... show more There was a discussion yesterday about how we as a society need to do more to end rape.

Smoe feminists say (and I quote): "Something more needs to be done then just telling women all the things she should do. [to protect herself]": http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AuOflerWmMstdw5uJovXYczsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100131145004AAK1RBo&show=7#profile-info-V1MptCMiaa

OK, like WHAT? No one has even tried to give a realistic answer to that question..

If we as a society knew what to do to stop rape, or for that matter, any violent crime, then don't you think that we would already be doing it?

Someone suggested that "educating men" might help, but I fail to see what more you can accomplish by educating innocent people that there are violent criminals out there (besides making all of the innocent people feel bad about circumstances that they cannot DO anything about).

BTW, studies have shown that violent criminals target men just as often as women, if the man seems to be an easier target (like being drunk, talking on a cell phone, not being alert in general), so it isn't just a woman's issue. Educating potential victims on how to avoid crime seems to help more than beging criminals not to commit crimes.
16 answers 16