Amanda
Amanda asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Proper Way To Address an Imam?

Since my last question, I've gotten a meeting to meet with an Imam tomorrow at 6:30pm (Arizona Standard Time) and I am a nervous wreck, honestly. I want to know how to properly address him and if there's anything I need to do to make sure that he knows I'm sincere about learning about Islam. It wouldn't surprise me if he has to deal with a lot of ignorance and I don't want him to feel like I'm just another typical American person who's come in to heckle him after a while. My mother is coming with me to learn as well, and we'd like to be as respectful as possible.

@Shah, thanks for the info, but there is NO WAY I would discuss ANY Christian values with him unless it was a similarity and HE brought it up. I'm there to learn from him, not the other way around.

Also- Christians don't teach that there was sex involved in the conception of Jesus either. Remember we hold that she was a VIRGIN. Muslims and Christians believe Jesus was begot in the same way. It's just that in Christianity it is believed that this makes him the direct son of God and thus special. Not logical, I realise, since if we are all created by God then we are all technically His children.

• Jasni
    Favorite Answer

The Imam will be more excited to see you and he maybe thinking how to make you feel comfortable.

Dakwah or the teaching of islam is a big responsibility and the imam won't put himself above it.You can call him Imam and feel free to ask any questions.The teaching has all the resolved answers no matter how complicated/controversal it may sound to others.Muslim do not have any doubt about islam.Happy learning and tell us about it later in YA ramadan.

• till

How To Address An Imam

• Shah

Well you can just say "Mr. ...(whatever his name is)" or Imam followed by his first name. Normally some people add a prefix (AFTER) the name in some languages. And that is NOT just a Muslim way or particular to Imam. It is common in many Asian cultures. For example in Pakistan when a person wants to address an elder (or older person) he would add the word "Sahib" after his name. This is to show that he is addressing him respectfully and not casually. In the Japanese culture they add the word "Saan". For example if the name of the person is George. I would address him as "George sahib" or "George Saan". This is just like saying Mr. George instead of only George.

There is NO NEED of any formality though. The only requirement in the mosque is not to be inappropriate i.e. use a language that is not foul, and be dressed DECENTLY and IF possible clean clothes. This is the ONLY requirement.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to be anxious. You are going with the perspective of learning and there is no point of being extra careful. Some points **MAY** be controversial and may stay controversial even during and after the discussion i.e. you being Christian and them being Muslims.

For example Muslims believe Jesus to be a Messenger and Prophet of God, who was born to Virgin Mary, as a result of Command of God and ***NOT**** as a result of an animal act of sex to Virgin Mary, by the holy spirit. Muslims take it to a strong exception to call Jesus as son of God. In fact it is STRONGLY advocated to avoid associating partners with God. God is absolutely a SINGLE and ONE God and there is no crown prince to Him. He never begot nor was He begotten.

You are free to discuss that, BUT, avoid arguing the matter over and over. This is a STRONG exception.

A second exception which the Imam will VERY VERY obviously be unaware would be the matter of history and Hadith and Sunnat. Most Christians and Atheists would fire at Muslims saying that Mohammad married a 9 year old girl.

Unfortunately the Muslims are very very poorly educated and blind in the matter. The history of Muslims was written over 100 years after Mohammad. There was no written material regarding the history. All of it was based on hearsays. That is why they cannot even tell u with any certainty how many wives he had and how many children he got. You talk to an Imam who belongs to one sect and he will give u one number and you talk to another one and he will give u an entirely different number. Even the history has versions and most of them would follow a popular version while remaining completely aloof to the other ones.

This is a matter one should avoid getting in at the first stage. Regarding all other matters you should be able to discuss freely.

Source(s): Just some suggestions

The Imam is a normal ordinary person and you have nothing to fear.

It is okay if you address him as Imam ....*whatever his name is* - find it out e.g. Imam Ahmad

Wear a long skirt or pants and cover your chest properly. It is not necessary for you to go overboard in covering yourself especially if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Normally Imams do not shake hands with women so if you can just avoid stretching your hand for a handshake (even though some would shake hands out of courtesy)

If you would be entering the Mosque, you will be required to take off your shoes because people prostrate on the carpet so dust and other debris should not enter the Mosque.

If you can learn the Islamic greeting then do so as it is also a greeting that Jesus used. Say ..."As-sa -laam - o- a- lai- kum" which means peace be with/unto you.

If you say that to the Imam you will immediately become "friends"

Write to me and let me know how it went.

Peace.

Salam You must wear good and clean clothes which will cover your aurats and you must say assala

mu alikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh when you meet him . You must tell him honestly and politely what is your objective to meet him After that the imam will tell you about Islam and you can submit several questions to him If you have finished the meeting you should say thank you and aslo wa salamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu when you will leave him.

You can say, Peace to you or unto you

You can ask him his name

You can call him Imam

You can say Sir

Just like anyone else as sister said but if You are a doctor then they can call you doctor.

He is an Imam so you can call him Imam

Ask him that is what I do... you can also look up the masjed he is at and see his name there

Source(s): Ankaboot
  • G. #2

Yeah, as what Salma and Ankaboot said are correct. And don't call him brother as the first poster suggested.

they like to be called "brothers"

you'll be fine..chances are he'd be more excited about your interest than critical of your "ignorance"