if i didnt pay my taxes last year, can i file and get that income tax this year?

i made about 8,000 or so last year and would have gotten back money... i didnt file and didnt hear anything about it. would it be better to say something and see if i get some tax credit or just leave it alone in case they are going to charge me for it this year.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

File your 2008 while you can still find or get your W-2s. Don't forget to attach copies of w-2 forms to your tax returns.

Seems that everyone else forgot to tell you that if you are due a refund and don't file within 3 years you forfeit your refund.

If you are due a refund and you don't file, they don't give you a credit and they don't contact you. They assume that you have forfeited your withholdings to them. Therefore you must file to get your refund.

Source(s): I am an Enrolled Agent (EA) with 20 years experience.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Tom C
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

If you are entitled to a refund then you can simply file your 2008 return and you will get a full refund without having to pay any penalties or interest. Penalties and interest are only assessed on overdue taxes...however, you didn't have any overdue taxes. The IRS owes you money. You don't need to file an amended return since you didn't file a return for 2008 in the first place and you can't combine your 2008 earnings with your 2009 earnings on your 2009 return. Go the the website IRS.GOV and you can pull up blank copies of tax forms and instructions for the 2008 tax year. Just prepare and file your return for 2008 return and mail it in (you can't e-file for past tax years) just as you would have if you had timely filed your return. You will get your full refund.

• 1 decade ago

SURE

And, if you're due a refund, then there is No late filing penalty and fees

If you were NOT a dependent, you weren't required to file if your income was $8000, but can file to obtain a refund of withholding

Each year's tax return is different and is filed separately from each other year

Only the current year's returns (2009 now) can be efiled, so you have to print and mail it in

If you wait TOO long, you lose right to any refund, only 3 years from date return due

Source(s): real estate investor
  • 1 decade ago

There are no penalties for late filing if you are due a refund. So go ahead and file the missing return. You can the forms on the IRS website and mail them in. It's too late to e-file now though.

Why are you letting the government keep YOUR money for so long? That's just plain INSANE! Would you walk out into the middle of the street and throw $100 bills around? No? Well you ARE!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dawn
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Yes but only the interest you earn is taxed. For example lets say you win the lottery and in a year that money makes $50 000 interest. You pay the same tax as if you worked a job and made $50 000 in a year. Most people in this situation pay their taxes four times over the course of the year just so they don't have to pay it all at once in April. Anybody who doesn't get their taxes automatically taken out of their check usually does this

• tro
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

it is a good idea to get your 2008 filed asap, and when you mail it in make sure you put 2008 in the lower left hand corner of the envelope

if you were due a refund you will have interest added as well

no, don't leave it alone, get it filed

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you might OWE taxes for 2008 - the only way to know is to file a return for 2008 on 2008 tax forms

you don't get any "tax credit" unless you have a refund coming and you choose to apply that refund to a future return (which is stupid) and you have to actually file a return to get that

why would you let the IRS keep your money?

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If you would have gotten money back last year, there's no penalty if you file your 2008 return now, and you'll still get your refund. Be sure to use 2008 forms and instructions though. You'll have to mail it in, it's too late to efile for 2008.

• mudbug
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes! The statute to claim a refund is 3 yrs. Free filing assistance at the library or irs.gov

• 1 decade ago

File now! If you file 2009 first and due a refund IRS WILL hold you 2009 refund until you file your 2008. You must mail the 2008 to IRS, and processing takes 6-12 weeks.

good luck

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.