Questions regarding W-7 (ITIN Application) and 1040?

I got married this last year, and as my spouse is overseas and finishing up some graduate courses (not working) it saves us a bunch of money to file as MFJ. Having read what I could find via internet searches and the abominable IRS documentation it seems to come down to needing to file the W-7 along with my... show more I got married this last year, and as my spouse is overseas and finishing up some graduate courses (not working) it saves us a bunch of money to file as MFJ.

Having read what I could find via internet searches and the abominable IRS documentation it seems to come down to needing to file the W-7 along with my 1040EZ (EZ still works right?) and including a letter stating that she wishes to be under us tax law for 2009, and a certified copy of her passport...

Now, the questions.

Line 6c of the W-7 says "Type of U.S. visa (if any), number, and expiration date". In her passport she has a tourist visa-5 year, multiple entry. Is that what they want there? Or is it other types of visa's they are looking for? I don't know what type it is-but I guess it should say (she has her passport overseas currently, I'm trying to figure out what to do).

Also, given all the issues regarding notarization/certification of copies of her passport presumably she could just send the passport to me and I could get certified copies made easily here in the US? (and then send it back-as she really can't afford to be without her passport for the whole time they are processing this...) I've read the entire bit about hague convention, and apostille's, and couldn't make heads or tails of it. Will Kinko's notary service work?

Also, she has to have signed both the letter and W-7 Is this letter functional?

To whom it may concern,

I, Name, a nonresident alien, choose to be treated as a U.S. resident for the entire 2009 tax year.

My spouse, Name, a US citizen, resided in the U.S. for the 2009 tax year. Please see our enclosed 2009 Income Tax Return.

Signature
Name
Address Abroad
ID Number: Please see attached W-7

Signature
Name
Address-US
SSN

Also, on the 1040-where it asks for her SSN-what do I put?

Anyways, she should fill out the W-7 and letter and sign them, then send them here so I can sign, put them in with the 1040EZ, along with notarized copies of her passport.

I'm just a bit nervous about all this, as it's the first time I've had to do more than fill out the forms from one of the online tax filing services. And I really don't want to screw up, as getting documents back and forth across the pacific is a hassle, and I don't want to be stuck with fees, or delays-as the money could pay some school bills right now...

Any/All advice is much appreciated.
Update: @LiberalAssKicker We were married in the US. My spouse is NOT a US citizen, and has no intention of becoming one anytime in the near future-I'm looking to move overseas soon myself actually, so no point worrying about that paperwork. Presumably though, it seems that with everything I've mentioned... show more @LiberalAssKicker

We were married in the US.
My spouse is NOT a US citizen, and has no intention of becoming one anytime in the near future-I'm looking to move overseas soon myself actually, so no point worrying about that paperwork.

Presumably though, it seems that with everything I've mentioned this should go through OK?
Update 2: I'll make sure to send in a marriage certificate as well, thanks for mentioning that.