Conservatives: was Reagan's arming of pro-dictatorship contras against the pro-democracy sandanistas right?

or wrong?

and the FSLN were democratic; Daniel Ortega had the full support of the Catholic Bishops of Nicaragua (even if the pope didn't support them), the common people, and when he lost his first election, he graciously stepped down--yet Reagan thought it was important to destroy democracy in Latin America, so he armed the pro-Somoza death squads against freedom.

why would a "freedom loving president" do this to democracy in a developing nation?

Update:

Ted Kennedy? YAWN

Update 2:

@Leon: I'm not disputing that, Reagan was an evil evil man

Update 3:

The communists in Nicaragua were pro-democracy.

Update 4:

@Booboo LOL nice try, the contras were as far from democracy as possible.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Absolute insane nonsense. Daniel Ortega was a mass murderer committing genocide on his political opponents. He was supported by a few liberation theology priests and one bishop. In other words they were communists first who happened to be clergy. There was nothing gracious about this murdering tyrant.

The Contras were not death squads but instead they were fighting against the tyrannical government of Somoza. I was a Moravian at the time and we had missions among the Miskito Indians along the coast of Nicaragua. Ortega's murderers were hunting down the defenseless Miskitos and murdering them all, men, women and children. He is a world criminal. I was there as a missionary and helped the Contras move the Miskitos from the coast to the mountains where they could be protected by the Contras. A good friend of mine from the military was the personal body guard for Somoza. My friend was murdered by the communists. His name was Michael Echanis. Reagan was right, Ortega was a monster. God bless!

In Christ

Fr. Joseph

• fars
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

I am professional-option. When you get an aborion, you're eliminating a clump of cells. You have got to get an abortion within the first degree of being pregnant (that's while this is a clump of cells and NOT a youngster) so that you are not truthfully killing a youngster. Also, there may be been information in which a tender woman has been raped however in her state abortion used to be unlawful so while she gave delivery, each her and the youngster died. If aborion used to be authorized there, then she could have survived.

• 10 years ago

So a group that took over the nation of Nicaragua by revolution is a "pro-democracy" group?

Naturally, if Conservatives in the USA ousted the Obama administration in a coup, you'd be willing to call them a "pro-democracy" group, right?

There was no democracy with the Sandinistas. The Sandinistas had received military assistance from Communist Cuba.

Reagan opposed them because he was fighting communism. Simple as that.

• Flower
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

America always supports dictatorships and overthrows democracies. Some of those democracies in America's opinion were too pro-Communist or too left leaning. It was the fear of Communism, like the fear of terrorism is perpetuated now. In Reagan's time anything on the left wing was construed as Communist and he was a rabid anti-leftist. He was a right-wing ******* and an evil empire himself.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • booboo
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Sorry, but nice try, the Sandanistas were backed by Cuba and Russia, the Contras were pro Democracy. Yes well who isn't down there, I believe the lesser of two evils fits, at least they weren't backed by the communists.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Dude how many times will you omit the truth in order to make up S

Daniel Ortega is the president now back then he was backed by Cuban military and Soviet HINDs

So i will tell you why Reagan supported the Contras when you tell me why the Soviet Union supported the Sandinistas

EDIT : your a good guy don't take it personal

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Actually

President Jimmy Carter withdrew American support for the regime. Carter, citing human rights reasons, denounced the Somoza regime

So your logic fails red star

Reagan only supported the contras

Source(s): I'm a liberal by the way
  • Huh??? He helped the ANTI-comminist contras against Nicaragua. Get your facts straight

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Reagan bad, Obama good.

Please recycle. Thank you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.