Indoor Herb Garden Tips?

I have started growing oregano, thyme, parsley, rosemary, and basil in small terra-cotta pots on my dresser. They are right by a west-facing window, and the room also has a window facing north, both of which I keep the blinds open on all day. I live in Minnesota, and I generally keep the room between 60 and 75 degrees. I would like to know ho much water I should give them and any other tips you might have to help them thrive. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

You say, "I would like to know ho much water I should give them and any other tips you might have to help them thrive."

1. Unless you have large pots with good conditioned soil, a good south facing window that gets the most sun, and control over the kinds of pests that herbs have to deal with (spider mites are particularly tough in indoor climates) you won't get the plants to "thrive" indoors. Most herbs in containers do the best outside in spots that don't get to freezing temperatures (i.e., after danger of frost) where they get full sun. the only herb you mention that can do okay in part shade is basil.

2. Most herbs want porous, well drained soil. If you use a product like Miracle Gro soil you need to add some grit (you can use small amounts of sand, but perlite is not as heavy--something you need to consider when growing in containers). Be sure each pot has about 1/2 inch of gravel in the bottom for drainage and so that roots that make it to the bottom don't sit in wet soil and rot. Use clay pots to protect from overwatering (which is what most people do). Most herbs like the soil to dry out before you water again, especially the perennials (thyme, oregano, and rosemary).

3. If you use a spray mister with water indoors or raise the humidity of the room you'll make it less likely that spider mites can make your plants their home. As long as you're keeping the room above 55 F or so, the temp of the room is not as important as the amount of sunlight and humidity.

4. If all you have is a west facing window that gets sunlight at the end of the day, you should consider using artificial lights for the morning hours or moving the plants from a different spot that gets sunlight in the AM to the west facing window in the afternoon. I generally do this with a spanish lavender plant that doesn't get enough sun facing east where I live. I move it in the afternoon to a west facing spot, increasing the amount of full sun by about 5 hours. It blooms every year (and it's already started this year).

5. Fertilizers like Miracle Gro can easily be overused when it comes to indoor plants, which won't use nutrients as fast as plants growing outdoors. This can lead to toxic soil conditions and the plant will die. If you feel the need to use it, mix it in the amount of about half a teaspoon per gallon of water and use it each time you water instead of mixing the more concentrated one tablespoon to a gallon and watering with it every two weeks, which can burn roots.

6. I can't stress enough: If you really want the plants to "thrive" move them outside as soon as you can in the sunniest location you have. Protect them from too much rain and wind.

Hello!

Well try and keep the room warm, so around 75 degrees because plants cant thrive with constantly cold temperatures. Now for water, try and keep the soil moist, but not too wet. Kinda like the consistency of a wrung out sponge. Maybe you could look at your local gardening store, or even Home Depot or Lowe's, for an organic herb food. It doesn't have to be organic, it's your preference!

Good luck with your garden, and I hope this helped!

~Blake:)

initially, your age is a venture. Are you constructive which you're arranged for this? additionally, reckoning on the place you reside there may well be themes of legality. and much greater so if he's critically older. i might advise which you think of approximately those issues. i'm no longer likely to disclaim you suggestion via fact i won't be able to end you from dealing with with this. subsequently i might particularly you have been particularly armed with counsel once you're desperate to do it besides. the main obligatory element is to apply risk-free practices. you do no longer % to grow to be pregnant and you do no longer % to get any sexually transmitted illnesses, particularly as your meant companion has a distinctive sexual historic previous. do no longer compromise in this. He the two wears a condom or it would not ensue! that is significant which you're taking issues sluggish via fact it would desire to be uncomfortable the 1st time. you may desire to make constructive that it happens in a comfortable putting the place you is only no longer interrupted, so as that your nerves are minimised. it rather is important that that there is foreplay, so as which you grow to be sufficiently excited (and for this reason sufficiently lubricated) for penetration to artwork. regarding positions, you'll be able to discover it less complicated to be on suited so as which you're on top of problems with the %. and the intensity of penetration.