Stage 1 and stage 2 baby foods...?

what is the age range for stage 1 and stage 2 baby foods?

Favorite Answer

6+ months (recommended). I didn't even really buy stage 1 its a total waste of $$ IMO. I think I just bought 1 or 2 stage 1's and went directly to stage 2.

they are both smooth purees, there is really only 2 differences between the 2. Stage 1 is usually a 2.5 ounce container and stage 2 is usually a 4 oz container....Stage 2 also has more of a variety inculding "mixers" ex. bannana and apples together. You shouldn't give combined things until the child has had each ingredient seperatly to make sure there isn't an allergy. So really you can start either stage whenever you feel comfortable or when your child is eating enough solids to use an enire container. I really never used stage 1. I found they were practically the same price as the stage 2, so you got more for your money. Baby food once opened can be refridgerated for 2-3 days. I found it more practical to buy the bigger containers and refridgerate the left overs for the next day, rather than buying the smaller containers. But as far as consistency, they are pretty much the same and neither contain "chunks". Stage 3 contains actual pieces of food that requires the baby to chew, so don't use those until your child is older and can handle big pieces.

• ?

I switched my daughter to stage 2 once she was finishing a whole container of stage 1 at a time and was still hungry. I really cannot tell the difference in the consistency of stage 1 and stage 2 foods. There is more in the Stage 2 containers and also more of a variety. My pediatrician said to keep her on stage 2 until 8-9 months.

We started with Stage 2 foods just because they're basically the same thing as Stage 1's but they're in a bigger jar so it's cheaper lol... I dont' like to buy the tiny stage 1 jars when I can get double the food for only 10 cents more and slit it up accordingly.

But like the first person said, stage 2's coem with mixed flavors and you shouldn't feed that to your baby until they've had each thing separately.

We started our son on solids at 4 months and he's done great. He's almost 5 months now and he eats half a jar of babyfood at lunch and the other half at dinner. He also get's formula after he eats the solids.... but he's done very well with it.

It more depends on what your baby's ready for developmentally than what age they are.

For instance, stage 1 is for a "supported sitter" where your child can sit up if supported without falling over to the sides or front. Also, he/she must not have the tongue reflex where they push stuff out automatically. That typically goes away around 4 months.

Stage 2, is for a "self-sitter" where you can put your child on a blanket on the floor and he/she will support themself while sitting. Another good thing to consider with going from stage 1 to stage two, is he/she getting enough to eat with stage one? Or are they going thru more than a jar and a bottle at each feeding? Do they seem "frustrated" with the liquidyness of stage one and only eat it with cereal mixed in? Then they may be ready for some fruits/veggies of stage 2 (but no meat/pasta until 6 months, that one's what my pediatrician told me).

Because babies develop differently, it's hard to put an actual age to it.

Source(s): 5 month old just started some stage 2 fruits.
  • my son is 2 and a half months and i have already gave ceral and just yester day started on the stage one carrots now i only have him 1 meal and only 3 spoonfulls today he got 2 meals and 3 spoonfuls to make sure he can handle it i have talk to my doc and he said he is ready for it. he has not had any problems with it on his tummy but he only get 3 spoonfull sfor 3 weeks and no more than 2 meals of it a day. than after that we can up it to a few more spoonfuls thill he is eatin a jar.