Looking to move to Galveston, Texas?

I am currently 22 years old, looking to move to Galveston, TX. I have done a lot of research as far as jobs and places to live, hurricanes and things to do etc. Currently I am an IT major and will be looking for a job in the IT field. My girlfriend is at the age of 20 and is in the tourism field/hotels. Hopefully,... show more I am currently 22 years old, looking to move to Galveston, TX. I have done a lot of research as far as jobs and places to live, hurricanes and things to do etc. Currently I am an IT major and will be looking for a job in the IT field. My girlfriend is at the age of 20 and is in the tourism field/hotels. Hopefully, I will be down next month to kind of check things out and see what it is like down there. I am from a small town in Ohio and need a change. There are no jobs in my area and the weather is terrible here.

Can anyone who lives in Galveston or who has been there give me any advice about living there/visiting there? Like I said, I have done a lot of research, I just would like to hear from someone who has the experience of being there. Any info on Jobs/Living/People/Hurricanes/Neighborho... etc...I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!!
Update: CK.. thanks for your response, very helpful. In addition to what I mentioned earlier, I will add some more information. I have been wanting to move somewhere warm and by the beach since I was the age of 16. I do not really care if the sand is pure white or brown, I just like the view. Heck, the shores of lake Erie... show more CK.. thanks for your response, very helpful. In addition to what I mentioned earlier, I will add some more information. I have been wanting to move somewhere warm and by the beach since I was the age of 16. I do not really care if the sand is pure white or brown, I just like the view. Heck, the shores of lake Erie are terrible and the view looks fantastic from there if that can help compare my thoughts on the beach/view and such. The basic thing is, I hate snow/ice. I'm sure hurricanes are terrible and hot weather does get irritating at times but...snow and ice is TERRIBLE! In addition to that, there are no jobs around my area unless I drive an hour...which in comparison I might as well drive to Houston. I am looking for a nice place to live, where I can finish my college classes(online), find a good job, whether on the island or somewhere like Houston and be able to workout and walk along the beach/view the gulf. Also, I do mind living among different races, not a big deal whatsoever