Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesHouston · 1 decade ago

Looking to move to Galveston, Texas?

I am currently 22 years old, looking to move to Galveston, TX. I have done a lot of research as far as jobs and places to live, hurricanes and things to do etc. Currently I am an IT major and will be looking for a job in the IT field. My girlfriend is at the age of 20 and is in the tourism field/hotels. Hopefully, I will be down next month to kind of check things out and see what it is like down there. I am from a small town in Ohio and need a change. There are no jobs in my area and the weather is terrible here.

Can anyone who lives in Galveston or who has been there give me any advice about living there/visiting there? Like I said, I have done a lot of research, I just would like to hear from someone who has the experience of being there. Any info on Jobs/Living/People/Hurricanes/Neighborhoods etc...I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!!

CK.. thanks for your response, very helpful. In addition to what I mentioned earlier, I will add some more information. I have been wanting to move somewhere warm and by the beach since I was the age of 16. I do not really care if the sand is pure white or brown, I just like the view. Heck, the shores of lake Erie are terrible and the view looks fantastic from there if that can help compare my thoughts on the beach/view and such. The basic thing is, I hate snow/ice. I'm sure hurricanes are terrible and hot weather does get irritating at times but...snow and ice is TERRIBLE! In addition to that, there are no jobs around my area unless I drive an hour...which in comparison I might as well drive to Houston. I am looking for a nice place to live, where I can finish my college classes(online), find a good job, whether on the island or somewhere like Houston and be able to workout and walk along the beach/view the gulf. Also, I do mind living among different races, not a big deal whatsoever

Favorite Answer

I love how you ask for advice from people who live here and you get people who visited in the 80s saying it's a dump. Ok, first of all, I live in Galveston and have lived here for about 5 years now. I spent a year before that in the suburbs of Houston, and I hail from up north like you do (pennsylvania). So, I'll try my best to be helpful and give you a good idea of what to expect. I should also preface my answer with the fact that I really like Galveston.

As you most likely know from your research, we're recovering from Ike still. We got quite a sucker punch from that one, and it has really impacted the whole city. A lot of people--including businesses--didn't have insurance, so it's taken a while to get everyone back up on their feet. But it's a resiliant bunch down here; people are doing the work to stay in the place they love. A lot of people did leave the island though, so the housing market is definitely a buyer's market, to put it mildly. I'm actually in the process of buying a house right now. Prices are dirt cheap for coastal property. Two years ago, I couldn't have touched a house in Galveston for what I'm paying now. But, it's a gamble, because Galveston is still recovering, and nobody knows what it will be like 10 years from now.

Ok, neighborhoods. It's hit or miss so I can't really give you a blanket statement. You just have to see houses and apartments one at a time to guage the neighborhood. There aren't zoning laws, and if there are, they're terribly loose. One block can be gorgeous, huge, victorian beauties, and the next block can be a crack haven. It really depends. You'll see what I mean when you visit. A lot of people dog the east end. But I've lived on the east end the whole time I've been here and I love it. You're close to downtown and the island is narrow on the east, so you're always close to the beach. But, I've always rented in the east. To buy, I had to go to the western part of mid-island. There are more "mixed" neighborhoods in the east, so it's harder to find a good block or 2 buffer zone, if you know what I mean. Plus, the schools are pretty terrible on the east end right now. They're supposed to be improving, but I'm not holding my breath. The mid and west schools are much better.

The great thing about Galveston is that it's a small town with city amenities. During the tourist season our population swells. So we have to have enough restaurants, hotels, stores, entertainment, etc to keep them happy. We've got a great shopping district (small boutiques, not bix box stores), great restaurants (although lacking in a few ethnicities), bars, theatres, amusement parks, and more. Plus, once the tourists leave for the winter, it's all ours!

As far as jobs though, you might have a tough time finding one. Our biggest employers are UTMB and Anico, plus the school system. UTMB is often hiring, but they also often lay off. You'll just have to guage the job market when you get here, based on what's available at the time. If your girlfriend wants to work the tourism industry in Galveston, but you can't find a job here, you can always look nearer to Houston and live in between (League City or Clear Lake Area).

Hopefully I've answered some of your questions. Galveston is quite a unique place and can shock the socks off some people. Most Houstonians hate Galveston and repeatedly dog it on Y!A. But those of us who live and vacation here know better. But, if you're the type that doesn't like people of diverse ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, and you need a best buy down the street, then Galveston probably won't be your idea of a good place to live. If you like quirkiness, personality, and a quieter, slower lifestyle, you'll love Galveston. So, good luck to you, and post back if you need any more info.

EDIT: wow, I don't know what avomatic is smoking. People in the south are much much warmer than people in the north. Trust me, I still go back up north at least twice a year and can easily see the difference. And the average salary for an IT person is not $30K a year. My brother in law and sister in law are in IT and they make well over $100K combined. Plus, our cost of living is much lower than up north. He's right about the weather though. The first couple of summers will slap you across the face, but then you get to love it. Especially in Galveston. Summers are much milder than in Houston because of the constant gulf breeze. I used to be a cold weather snow bird, but now I can't stand it when it's less than about 80 degrees outside. You'll adapt. Especially once your in flip flops on the beach with a cold drink in your hand. Can't beat it!

Source(s): galveston resident
  • Karen

It really depends on what you're looking for. Galveston was not blown off the map, nor is it a puddle of debris. It's a great city with lots of charm and amenities. However, the public schools are bad. Unless you can afford to send your younger kids to private school, you'd be better off in Texas City public schools. The high school in Galveston is fine though, so the older kid would be fine. Texas City, on the other hand, is just kind of a small, smelly city. The plants make the air smell funny all the time, and there's not a lot to do there. But, like I said, their schools are better than Galveston's. So, it's a toss-up in my mind.

• coons

Living In Galveston Tx

Son, unless you've lived through a hurricane you would know that your statement is wrong. Snow and ice are an INCONVENIENCE. Hurricanes DESTROY CITIES. Galveston got walloped a year and a half ago. The Greater Houston area had nearly thirty BILLION dollars in damage. I'll take snow and ice any day if that is the only choice.

Fortunately I'm far enough from the coast to where hurricane damage is lessened. I'm in West Houston, 60 miles from the coast, and we still have 60 foot trees knocked over, no power for a week, no clean running water for days, and did I mention it was still summer time?

On a side note, I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of Galveston. That being said, what CK wrote is quite accurate and the Avomatic guy has absolutely NO IDEA what he's blathering about. I would ignore what he wrote and consider what she wrote.

• TJ

Best I can do is offer some old advice. In the early 80's , I lived in Houston and visited Galveston a few times. I felt it was a dump of a city and nothing to offer me. Remember, this is just one man's opinion. It is an old opinion at that. Good luck with your future anyway it plays out. Have a great day.

• Elizabeth5 years agoReport

Not to mention it has beautiful sunsets, amazing full moon views at night, warm, calmer waters that children love to play in. large beaches, a fun seawall for biking or rollerblading, delicious restaurants and unique shopping, horse back riding on the beach, amazing resorts and History Galore.

I go there alot for vacation, but i see it as just a vacation spot..lot of tourist stuff but i dont think living there would be that fun since its a small city, but houston is near so i guess it'd be cool..

but idk..I don't think there are malls there, but it just depends how you want to live

i suggest you visit there a few times and make sure you'd be comfortable living there

I'm interested in this

I live up the road, so to speak, in Houston. I recomend you reconsider your move. If you are not familiar with the wages/lifestyle down south, you are in for a shock. Wages here are extremely low by northern standards, the average salary in most jobs is $30k a year, most IT jobs will start you around there. There are no union shops here, so raises and affordable benefits are not a guarantee. Texas is a rigth to work state, meaning you can be fired with no prior warning for whatever reason. Winter weather is temperate, but summers are intensely hot and humid, you will need to run a central A/C all summer long, expect high electric bills. Either in Galveston or Houston, nothing is withing walking distance and public transportation is minimal, a car is a must, most people have two cars. Commutes to work are long, even down on the island, most people work in Houston, 45 miles away.

Unlike the stereotypes, most people in Texas cities are neither nice nor caring, there is a lot of poverty here so most people are very anxious, leading to very short tempers and bad driving habits. The affore mentioned poverty is also cause of a lot of burglaries, specially in Galveston, which has a substantial "ghetto" population.

Consider these insigths, knowing you are already up north, i would recomend you consider more vibrant northern areas with better opportunities, places Like Chicago or St. Paul minessota. I have family in both places, and despite the snow, they do very well as far as earnings and lifestyle. I am considering moving up there myself because of this. Bottom line, if you move down to Galveston, expect your standard of living to take a big hit.

Sorry I don't know about this

balls