why dont some women breastfeed.?

ok i have a two 1/2 month old and i breastfeed my friend is having a baby in a few weeks and she said she would never try to breast feed. even with all of the benfits the baby gets. why would you not even give the baby the frist few days thats the stuff his little self needs and yeah formula is ok. but all of my friends who have gave formula and not breastfeed have tons of ear infections normal 2 by 3 months and are sick and really colicy and gassy. but the one who have breastfeed and giving the frist colsturm and there baby are really healthy why would some one put there babies health at risk like that just cas they dont want to breast feed. or they think it is wrong its wrong in my eyes not saying every ones that they will not even try to do the best for there kid..

I'M NOT JUDGEING ANY ONE I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHY WOULD THEY NOT EVEN TRY. JUST TO BOOST THERE LITTLE SYSTEMS. I DONT CARE IF THEY DONT OR IF THEY DO.. I DID BECAUSE I WANT THE VERY BEST FOR MY SON. I GUESS SOME WOMEN DONT FEEL THAT WAY. OR THEY THINK THE FORMULA IS THE VERY BEST AND IF THEY DO GOOD FOR THEM.

Favorite Answer

Some women can not breastfeed because they are on medication that is not safe for baby to have. Some women are undergoing chemotherapy or radiation therapy and can't breastfeed. Some women don't have enough breast tissue(very rare). Some women have been sexually abused and can not fathom a breast being used "for good". They have psychological issues they are dealing with. Some women have never ever been around a "breast feeder" and it just seems unnatural to them, about as unnatural as formula seems to you. Someone have husbands/partners that see their breasts as sex objects only and tell their spouse they are not allowed to breastfeed(my friend's hubs was like this). Some women had a bad experience the first time around and just don't want to "hassle" with it again. Some women know nothing about breastfeeding, they don't know anyone who breastfeeds, and don't have all the breastfeeding resources that the rest of us do. There are so many reasons why women don't, too many to list here.

I breastfed my son for 5 weeks. We were having trouble and I didn't have any resources or friends to ask for help. I put him on formula only later learning that he had reflux. He did horrible on formula and I regretted every minute he was on it. Sophie was diagnosed with reflux w/ in 2 weeks of birth and I was able to successfully breastfeed her. In OUR experience, breastfeeding was the best option and will be used when we have a 3rd baby. I feel sorry for moms that don't even try to breastfeed(those that are able to). Those moms and those babies could have all the benefits of breastfeeding, but miss out, for what ever reason. But, I don't judge. Each mom should do what they want, but I am ALL FOR EDUCATION ABOUT BREASTFEEDING. The more you know about it, the easier it will be do actually do.

My baby was in NICU when she was born because of the med's they had to give me when I was in labour (I developed toxemia) I had an emerg. c- section.. I did my BEST to breast feed but my milk never fully came in. I cannot stand the holier then now mom's that come on here saying I didnt try hard enough, We went to the lactation consultant 4 times!!! We tried the little tube that we hooked up beside my breast so she was breastfeeding and getting formula. She was breastfed and supplemented with formula until 3 months.. When I read comments from people saying.. oh she thought it was to hard so she's lazy.. You know what,,, You don't know their situation so keep your mouth shut. You can breastfeed.. GREAT!! Not all woman can. You don't know the situation. so don't comment! AND if a woman just would rather not breastfeed at all.. that still DOES NOT mean that she's a bad mom! As long as your baby is loved and cared for.. that's what really matter's in life!

The reason for choosing to formula feed are different for every woman and very personal. Breast feeding is the most natural and usually the healthiest choice, but that doesn't mean it's always the best choice. It's not your baby, so don't worry so much about how your friend chooses to parent her child.

Here's why I don't breastfeed. I have hypoplastic breasts, which means I simply don't have enough glandular breast tissue to produce adequate milk. Even worse, breast hypoplasia is so rare (it only affects 1-3% of all women) that there isn't really much support out there for women who have hypoplastic breasts but still want to breastfeed. It isn't even mentioned in many books and articles on breastfeeding and when it is mentioned it is only a sentence or two that leads you to believe that you just can't breastfeed if your breasts are hypoplastic. In reality, about 40% of women with hypoplasia are able to breastfeed or mostly breastfeed their babies, but it is very hard to establish your supply. It's even harder without the support of professionals who understand the special challenges involved. I did not learn any of this until after my supply had completely dried up and I made the decision to stop trying and just go with formula. My son has been perfectly healthy, with no ear infections or illness. He just has constipation issues.

My second child I'm willing to take on the heartbreaking challenge of trying to breastfeed again, armed with better knowledge of my unique situation. But if it goes disastrously wrong a second time I don't know if I have the heart to try a third time and any subsequent babies will just be formula from the start. Emotionally it was extremely difficult for me to come to terms with not being able to breastfeed. For weeks I was angry with myself. I thought I was probably just convincing myself that I have a deformity that makes breastfeeding difficult or impossible. I kept thinking that if I had only tried harder I could have made it work. I was incredibly jealous of those mothers who made the choice to formula feed instead of breastfeeding. After all, it was their choice to use formula, whereas my "decision" was made for me and was not what I wanted. Honestly I'm scared of going through all that again. It would be so much easier for me if I were to just decide that breastfeeding just isn't for me. But at the same time, I *really* want to breastfeed as it was an intrinsically rewarding experience for me for the short time I did try.

Breastfeeding has gone in and out of fashion since the invention of formula. Doctors recommend it, then they recommend formula, then they recommend it again. My sister has two kids, neither were breastfed at all. The first one has never had a health issue and she is 6. The other had reflux from day one but aside from that has not had any health issues. Perhaps if they were breastfed they'd have superpowers, but they're doing just fine. My sisters and I were all breastfed. My older one and I were fine, but my little sis had all kinds of ear infections and health problems growing up. Breastfeeding is not a guarantee that your child will be perfectly healthy and formula feeding is not damning your child to a life of poor health. After seeing some friends attempt to go through the process and going through the pain and the feelings of failure when they couldn't produce enough milk, I can believe I would ever even attempt it.

To start both my kids are extremely healthy, my son is 3 and has been sick 2 times in is whole life. i did try breast feeding my daughter but with no luck!( even breast feeding every 2 hours i dried up in less then a week and she dropped weight from 6 pounds 15 Oz's to just over 2 pounds that doesn't seem to healthy to me) my son started on formula in the hospital, but when i got home i tried breast feeding and he would projectile vomit it out. but never vomited the formula. So in my children's case breast was not the best, my next child i'm not going to breast feed because i don't see the point of doing it all over again. My son was never gassy or colicky, my daughter however was because she has to drink a special formula and we didn't know that when we first started her on formula but she is no longer gassy. A friend of mine has a beautiful little boy and he is extremely colicky ( he will cry for 5 hours Straight she has taken him to the dr and it is just colic) and he is breastfeed. And as for the bonding i think that is bullshit I'm so close to both my kids, my son is my world He is a complete Mommy's boy and never leaves my side, having a close relationship has nothing to do with breastfeeding but the amount of time you spend teaching and playing with the child( how you interact, how you play with them that sort of stuff!) my son and i play everyday, even when i was working i would come home and play for 3 or 4 hours with him! And it doesn't make a child any smarter either, my son can count, can tell you his abc's , can spell his name , can tell you his colors, every animal and the sound it makes, I think he is right on track the same place as any other child breast feed or not! My fiance was never breastfeed and is very smart, he had Honor's through out high school, and is very smart, I on the other hand was breast feed and honestly i will admit i'm not that smart, I was in Special classes for math, and to go back to school for what i want to do its going to take me 2 years just to upgrade to proper levels. I honestly don't see the benefits, i see them in writing but comparing me and my friends who and friends children who were breast feed compared to my friends and children who were not, i don't see it, heck i'm sick constantly, as a child i had more ear infections then i can count. i had over ten ear infections by six months, the put tubes in my ears and that still didn't help! It shouldn't matter how your friend is going to feed HER child. it is her baby not yours so don't worry about it she is doing what she thinks is best for HER child! Dint judge people because of something as silly as breast feeding. honestly it doesn't matter. I wouldn't judge a mother who breast feed because that is what she wants to do and i wouldn't judge one that doesn't breastfeed, all because some stats that the government made up.

It's not a matter of knowing some breastfed babies who had ear infections and some formula babies who haven't - of course this is true. It's just the overwhelming statistics that give so many different reasons why breastfeeding is better, that make it hard to really understand why you wouldn't at least want to try. There is literally no reason not to try a few times in the beginning and at least give then the colostrum that's so awesome for their little digestive systems. And I don't count "being weirded out" by breastfeeding as an excuse.

• KC

I suppose each to their own - it's not child abuse to formula feed.

My daughter is breastfed, she is 12.5 months old. She's had 2 colds and currently has a nasty cough, whereas my friend's formula fed 6 month old baby has never been ill. Breastfeeding doesn't AUTOMATICALLY guarantee the child is illness free..... but it's still "better" than formula.

This is a debate that ranks right along side of abortion, politics, and religion. Everyone has their own opinion and everyones opinion is the only right one. Women get very uptight about parenting so you will never get a straight answer to these questions because everyone is doing what is best for them.I wouldn't even bother asking. As long as YOU feel what YOU are doing is right, no need to meddle into others doing what THEY think is right.

Source(s): Breastfed my son for 16 months, supplementing and pumping breast milk with my 3 month old daughter.

Because it is their right to choose...and shouldn't be pressured by anyone. I tried for 3 weeks but my son wouldn't latch. I gave him formula...and he was never sick until way past being off formula and on whole milk...My son's health was NOT at risk because I could not breast feed. I think that you should worry about your son and only your son.

Because some chose not to. Period.

I didn't breastfeed because to me it didn't feel like the right thing to do. I knew early on that I didn't want to. My son was 10lbs 11oz at birth. He was drinking almost 8oz per feeding at the HOSPITAL. I don't think I could have kept up with him anyhow. He is a very healthy boy, soon to turn 1 year old. He has never been sick, yet I know a few babies that were breastfed who have been sick almost ALL winter.

My next child (who will be born in June) will not be breastfed either. If someone wants to do it, that's fabulous, but they have no right to judge.

Source(s): Mom of one and one on the way.