? asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 decade ago

What are some of the most inspiring quotes you know?

I want to put them all over my room, so the shorter, the better.(:

And maybe a few around my mirror, that may have something to do with confidence, following your dreams, etc.

Song lyrics would be good too.

Thanks.

I'l choose best answer!

I also want to make a quote jar!

Like put a thousand awesome quotes in it, and every time I need something inspiring, pull one out.

Haha.

So give my all ya got!!

• Jo W
    Favorite Answer

These are all my favorites -

INSPIRATIONAL QUOTES -

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.” - Anatole France

“Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.” - Pamela Vaull Starr

“You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'” - George Bernard Shaw

“Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.” - Thomas Alva Edison

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” - Albert Einstein

“He is able who thinks he is able.” - Buddha

“Recognition is the greatest motivator.” - Gerard C. Eakedale

“Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.” - Albert Einstein

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.” - Zig Ziglar

“Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” - Confucius

“One ought to hold on to one's heart; for if one lets it go, one soon loses control of the head too.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

“Drink to me” - Pablo Picasso

SAD/HEARTBROKEN QUOTES -

“Though lovers be lost love shall not.” - Dylan Thomas

“He's also there for people who have lost loved ones.” - Don McClure

“Parting is all we know of heaven, and all we need of hell.” - Emily Dickinson

“To be with a man who hasn't tried every line, who hasn't broken up with a woman every which way you can break up with them, is kind of nice.” - Uma Thurman

“It's afterwards you realize that the feeling of happiness you had with a man didn't necessarily prove that you loved him” - Marguerite Duras

LOVE QUOTES -

“Came but for friendship, and took away love.” - Thomas Moore

“Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I really need it.” - Swedish Proverb

“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” - A. A. Milne

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” - Judy Garland

“True love always makes a man better, no matter what woman inspires it” - Alexandre Dumas Père

“I have found that if you love life, life will love you back.” - Arthur Rubinstein

“Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.” - Charles Caleb Colton

“Woman reaches love through friendship; man reaches friendship through love” - Mohammed Hijazi

“I love you,

Not only for what you are,

But for what I am

When I am with you.

I love you,

Not only for what

You have made of yourself,

But for what

You are making of me.

I love you

For the part of me

That you bring out;

I love you

For putting your hand

Into my heaped-up heart

And passing over

All the foolish, weak things

That you can’t help

Dimly seeing there,

And for drawing out

Into the light

All the beautiful belongings

That no one else had looked

Quite far enough to find.

I love you because you

Are helping me to make

Of the lumber of my life

Not a tavern

But a temple;

Out of the works

Of my every day

Not a reproach

But a song.

I love you

Because you have done

More than any creed

Could have done

To make me good

And more than any fate

Could have done

To make me happy.

You have done it

Without a touch,

Without a word,

Without a sign.

You have done it

By being yourself.

Perhaps that is what

Being a friend means,

After all.” - Roy Croft

“I love you, and because I love you, I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies.” - Pietro Aretino

“I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you for the part of me that you bring out.” - Roy Croft

“You're my sweetheart to the max. I love you like Crispy Critters.” - Wesley Willis

“Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you.” - William Arthur Ward

“You taught me to love fearlessly and to open up my heart. I've never known anyone like you. I love you to no end.” - Phil Martin

“Some people never say the words 'I love you'. It's not their style to be so bold. Some people never say those words: 'I love you' But, like a child, they're longing to be told.” - Paul Simon

LIFE QUOTES -

“The resurrection gives my life meaning and direction and the opportunity to start over no matter what my circumstances.” - Robert Flatt

“Once they move, they're gone. Once you move, life starts over again.” - Jim Hinkle

“When you feel that you have reached the end and that you cannot go one step further, when life seems to be drained of a

Source(s): Quotesdaddy.com/quote/103577/brad-johnson/and-so-they-wait-mothers-wives-and-daughters-wait Quotesdaddy.com/quote/251498/william-jefferson/i-tell-folks-all-the-time-im-glad-i-was-able-to-start Quotesdaddy.com/quote/77089/bernice-johnson-reagon/lifes-challenges-are-not-supposed-to-paralyze-you Quotesdaddy.com/quote/1387057/tony-g/the-longest-journey-through-life-is-down-the-path Quotesdaddy.com/quote/1174718/abraham-lincoln/and-in-the-end-its-not-the-years-in-your-life-that Quotesdaddy.com/quote/140313/byrd-baggett/look-at-life-through-the-windshield-not-the-rear-view Quotesdaddy.com/quote/232683/w-m-lewis/the-tragedy-of-life-is-not-that-it-ends-so-soon-but Quotesdaddy.com/quote/920301/john-lennon/life-is-what-happens-to-you-while-youre-busy-making Quotesdaddy.com/quote/57247/arthur-rubinstein/i-have-found-that-if-you-love-life-life-will-love Quotesdaddy.com/quote/48719/anthony-robbins/most-people-fail-in-life-because-they-major-in-minor
  • Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. James Dean

Improvement begins with I. Arnold Glasow

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. John A. Shedd

He who angers you conquers you. Elizabeth Kenny

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him. Voltaire

Bad is never good until worse happens. Danish Proverb

When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. Ralph Waldo Emerson

A problem is a chance for you to do your best. Duke Ellington

When you're feeling your worst, that's when you get to know yourself the best. Leslie Grossman

Don't look where you fall, but where you slipped. African Proverb

He who has nothing to die for has nothing to live for. Moroccan Proverb

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. Albert Einstein

Tears are the silent language of grief. Voltaire

Anger manages everything badly. Statius

One thought fills immensity. William Blake

Boredom is the deadliest poison. William F. Buckley, JR.

I praise loudly, I blame softly. Catherine the Great

He who praises everybody, praises nobody. Samuel Johnson

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads. Henry David Thoreau

Patience will achieve more than force. Edmund Burke

To different minds, the same world is a hell, and a heaven. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Life is the childhood of our immortality. Goethe

The idle man does not know what it is to enjoy rest. Albert Einstein

Once you lose your reputation, you don't mind it. Belva Porter

It's choice - not chance - that determines your destiny. Jean Nidetch

Only a fool fights in a burning house. Klingon proverb

Confidence is courage at ease. Daniel Maher

A problem is a chance for your to do your best. Duke Ellington

Problems are the price you pay for progress.Branch Rickey

If things go wrong, don't go with them. Roger Babson

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. Unknown

Strong lives are motivated by dynamic purposes. Kenneth Hildebrand

A day of worry is more exhausting than a day of work. John Lubbock

A desire can overcome all objections and obstacles. Gunderson

Prosperity is a great teacher; adversity is a greater. Hazlitt

Worry is the darkroom in which negatives are developed. Unknown

Life is a challenge, meet it. Mother Theresa

All our dreams can come true...if we have the courage to pursue them. Walt Disney

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else. Erma Bombeck

Yesterday is but today's memory, tomorrow is today's dream. Kahlil Gibran

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true. Leon Joseph Cardinal Suenens

If there were dreams to sell, what would you buy? Thomas Lovell Beddoes

Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears. Les Brown

Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.Henry David Thoreau

You have to dream before your dreams can come true. Abdul Kalam

Have a nice day! :)

"The ultimate choice for a man, inasmuch as he is driven to transcend himself, is to create or to destroy, to love or to hate." Erich Fromm

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Plato

The author François de la Rochefoucauld wrote, "We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves."

Gandhi said, "Better to be violent if there's violence in our hearts than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence."

Gandhi also said, "I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary. The evil it does is permanent."

Albert Pine said, "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."

Albert Einstein said, "The question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or the others crazy?"

"A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind."

Robert Oxton Bolton

Woman was created from the rib of man.

She was not made from his head to be above him,

nor was she made from his feet to be trampled on.

She was created out of his side to equal him,

under his arm to be protected by him

and near his heart to be loved.

The life which is unexamined is not worth living.- Socrates

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.

Plato (429-347 BC)

If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.

Anatole France [Jacques Anatole Thibault] (1844-1924)

All truly wise thoughts have been thought already thousands of times; but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, till they take root in our personal experience.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

We know what a person thinks not when he tells us what he thinks, but by his actions.

Isaac Bashevis Singer (1904-1991)

It is another's fault if he be ungrateful, but it is mine if I do not give. To find one thankful man, I will oblige a great many that are not so.

Seneca

The important thing is never to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other. Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.

Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)

It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone." Rose Kennedy.

Timshel - East of Eden

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly. -Unknown

Perhaps we are wiser, less foolish and more far-seeing than we were two hundred years ago. But we are still imperfect in all these things, and since the turn of the century it has been remarked that neither wisdom nor virtue have increased as rapidly as the need for both.

Joseph Wood Krutch

I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance. ~George Balanchine

Stifling an urge to dance is bad for your health - it rusts your spirit and your hips. ~Adabella Radici

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain. ~Author Unknown

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing. ~William James

You can dance anywhere, even if only in your heart. ~Author Unknown

"There is no secret ingredient" - Kung Foo Panda

Source(s): Some of these arent exactly inspirational as they are thoughtful. I removed a couple negative ones but these are my favorite acrued quotations hopefully they help

Here's one From To Kill a Mockingbird:

"...Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird..." ~ Miss Maudie Atkinson

Here's one more from: To Kill a Mockingbird:

“…You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it…” ~ Atticus Finch

=)

A few of my favorites;

"Let us not look back in anger, nor look forward in fear but look around with awareness"

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

"Put down the magnifying glass and pick up the mirror!"

meaning, stop nit-picking others and start looking at yourself.

Don’t let failures define you. Let them TEACH you.

It isn't the load that weighs us down------it's the way we carry it.