What are some things should I know about India before I arrive?

I am of indian origin but not born or lived in India for more than a month. Last time I went, I was ten! What should I know about India, specifically New Delhi before I go?

Favorite Answer

1) Obtain a chit for a pre-paid taxi from the New Delhi airport before you depart and find yourself in the midst of hundreds of taxi touts; 2) Go to Kake da Hotel, across the road from Nirula's Hotel, for some of the best dhaba food in India, but be prepared to go up to your armpits in curry sauce swimming in your plate of chicken and therefore do not worry about the greasy sign on the greasy wall of this place, reading, "No Extra Gravy"; 3) Ignore the horrid cola soft drinks like "Thumbs Up" and, instead, rely upon fresh lime sodas (sweet, salt or plain) for hydration; 4) If you like ice cream, after dinner at Kake da Hotel, return to Nirula's Hotel and join the Delhi "fast crowd" for a cone of "pista" (pistachio) ice cream at Nirula's "21 Flavors", a Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors knock-off; 5) Ignore the unhygienic dhabas across from the New Delhi railway station, despite their touts screaming for your patronage. Instead, wander up the main bazaar street of the Pahar Ganj, perpendicular to the railway station and across the broad avenue. Walk for 15 minutes until you see "RExpo", a souvenir showroom on the right side of the Pahar Ganj main road. In this emporium you will find a fine selection of every typical Indian souvenir item, all in one place. Know that 35 years ago its proprietor, Raj Kumar Mathur, was sitting in the dusty street, in the dust of Pahar Ganj, selling Patchouli oil to hippies out of a small wooden box. Now he is the King of Incense! His RExpo is the best place to buy trinkets (treasures, when you return home) from India; 6) Ignore Kashmiris on Connaught Place who scream for you to look at their rugs, which are too bright for most homes; 7) Go to touristy Moti Mahal restaurant in Darayganj for some of the best tandoori chicken on earth, first served in this famous restaurant; 8) At the New Delhi railway station, check out the weighing scale in the main salon, the scale with the flashing, multi colored lights. Insert a rupee and get your weight. Return after your India sojourn to this iconic scale and re-weigh to see what dysentary has cost you in poundage; 8) Be prepared for a very, very polluted city, my beloved New Delhi with its excess of scooter rickshaws with no pollution controls and other frighteningly filthy motorworks, smogging up the town. And while you are lamenting the pollution, check out the electrical wiring between ancient buildings in Delhi and wonder why the entire town has not burned down long ago.; 9) Go to Chandi Chowk, near the Red Fort and Jama Masjid and wander aimlessly in the greatest shopping area on earth. Get lost in the maze of streets, perceiving the odd sights and smells and other delightful weirdness of Old Delhi.; 10) Go to Old Delhi railway station and gaze at the grand clock in the ceiling of the large concours. When you do so, think of me in 1972 asking the dundreery-wearing station master, "Is that correct Indian railway time, as I want to set my watch accurately before I depart for my tour of all India". His reply: "Young lad, there is one thing on which we can all agree: watches and women do not agree!" I passed on my watch-setting desires and departed with an unset watch! Oh India, Mother India . . . deep and profound.

Source(s): Twelve long trips through India, from Kashmir to Kanya Kumari and from the Waga border to Calcutta and all places in between, between 1970 and 2000.

PUNJAB &+ PUNJABI'S ARE THE BEST. North India is the ****, but if you're gonna stay in South India, you're gonna hate India. No joke

Be prepared for the abject poverty that you nor the entire world can do anything about. The birth rate and the class system doom them.

• Indo

wandering cows, poor people, lot of temples