Lv 4
*** asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 10 years ago

Someone with local server expertise: How to uninstall WampServer completely so that I can reinstall it?

I had installed WampServer a few months ago (http://www.wampserver.com/en/download.ph… to play around with some Wordpress code. I got that all working fine, including installing Wordpress. Some time after that I did a system restore on my computer and tried to reinstall WampServer again, (not realizing that it was still on my system) and now I can't get the control panel to show up. I keep getting a login page, and it doesn't recognize my username and password I created initially. I didn't realize that all of those files were still on my system, and now I can't view the code locally or get to the admin page. I think the problem is that I didn't successfully remove all of the old folders, which were relocated (I think?). I also tried deleting the WAMP folder off of my C drive, and then tried to reinstall the WampServer, but I'm still running into the same problem. I'm thinking I didn't get rid of everything.

I basically want to start over fresh and reinstall everything from scratch. Help is greatly appreciated.

Running Windows XP on PC

I did a search for the htaccess files, no such file exists. ???

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

if there is no (dot)htaccess files then you could make sure the individual components of the WAMPServer no longer exist. found this on net, hope it helps...

Shut down WAMP using the tray icon. Right Click and select EXIT

- Start->Control Panel->Add/ Remove Programs. Select WAMP and remove it. After removal MOST of the WAMP files will remain.

- Delete c:\WAMP

- Start->Run. Enter: 'Regedit' and hit return. This opens the registry editor. The registry stores data used by programs and the OS. You can really mess up your system if you don't know what your doing so be VERY careful. Use FIND to locate all entries with WAMP in them. Using 'F3' find each one, make sure its related to WAMP and delete it. Remember BE CAREFUL and create a RESTORE disk before you start.

- Then Delete these two directories c:\temp, c:\windows\temp

- Then FINALY ((and I think this is the one that really does it)) there is an oddly name DB file saved on c:\ Sadlly I didn't write it down.... but it should stand out... its a mix of letters and I think WMP or ODB was in it... delete that too ((back it up just in case))

Now restart your computer and reinstall WAMP!

Setting the ROOT Password

================================================================

- Start WAMP

- Access phpMyAdmin

- Select 'Privileges'

- You will see a list of users. Click the 'Edit Privileges' icon at the right end of the root user, localhost.

- Scroll down to the Change Password section. enter your password twice then click GO.

- Now exit WAMP and shut it down.

- In your text editor open c:\WAMP\APPS\phpmyadmin2.11.6\config.inc.php

- In this file find: $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';

- Change it to: $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';

- Find: $cfg['blowfish_secret'] = '';

- Change it to: $cfg['blowfish_secret'] = 'WhatEverYouWantHere';

- Save it

- Open c:\WAMP\APPS\phpmyadmin2.11.6\index.php

- Insert this line after the <?php tag: include_once 'config.inc.php';

- Save it

- Restart computer

- Start WAMP! Now when you enter phpMy Admin you should be asked for your user name and password.

• 4 years ago

I ditched MS and started using Kubuntu two years ago and haven't looked back since. I've had no compatibility issues as similar to you, I use my PC mostly for office applications and browsing the net. I am also amazed at how much I've learned about operating systems, the command line interface and virtualisation in these two years. Computing has become fun again. The only drawback I can think of is the lack of 3D games. I do miss Total War.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

To get PHPmyadmin for free you can click here on the link http://j.mp/1no5vGx

Try it out

Cheers ;)

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Great answers

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.