alex asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Hockey stick help please. Experienced players only.?

It's the middle of my high school ice hockey season and last game i broke my Sherwood 5030. If you don't know, its a wood stick most known for the fish hook coffey blade. I really just developed my slap shot on ice this year and my coaches say i have a monster slap shot. But I just broke this stick and im getting a new stick tomorrow. Since the 5030 was just to get me through a few weeks my dad says I can get any stick I want not over 150. Now here is the question, if i do get composite stick, will i still have my slap shot. And if I would. What stick should i get that I would have a good slap shot with but it doesn't have a big curve. Or should i just stick to another 5030.

ive been playing since i was four thanks though

Favorite Answer

If wood sticks are working for you now, why switch? Yes, composite will make you shoot harder. How much harder though? Let's say it's a 3% bump and your hardest shots are clocking at 85mph. you will now be shooting 87mph instead. Trust me, you are not going to go from shooting 70mph to shooting 100mph just because of a stick.

When you factor in the price, I say you have even more reason to stay with wood. You could buy 3 or 4 of the Sherwood's for the cost of one composite stick. Many composites are not as durable as a wood stick which makes their price even worse.

It also sounds like you are using the Coffey pattern. Sher-wood's composites don't come in that pattern in their higher end sticks. I also use that pattern and the highest model that comes in is the RM9. I can say from personal experience that the durability of those sticks is horrible.

My suggestion is somewhere in the middle: A) stick with the wood sticks or B) spend that money on a good composite shaft and continue to use sher-wood blades.

personally, if a stick is working for you, stick with it (no pun intended).

As soon as you start using a composite stick you probably will never go back to wood..but if you're playing good with your wood stick, than you should take advantage of that because their much cheaper and much more durable.

As for your slap shot, if you do change to a composite (gona cost you more than $150 in most cases) make sure you get something with very similar stiffness to your wood stick. Find out the stiffness of your wood stick or if its not marked you can compare it just by flexing it (leaning on it a bit). Keep it mind that the composites will become more flexy after your use it a few times than when first purchased.

confident, all of us go out on the beginning up of the 12 months and shell out 1000's of greenbacks We additionally go out and purchase the main recent hockey stick believing we are in a position to have the skill whilst you're an previous timer enjoying hockey slightly obese (like me) you maximum that's why maximum skate sharpeners will sharpen your skates with a 7/sixteen“ radius.

it seems to me like you're pretty UNexperienced if you need help like this. wow.