How long is too long for a baby not to kick?

Im 37 weeks pregnant and since last night my baby hasnt kicked but maybe 5 times since around 10 last night....i was wondering if this is normal or should i go to the ER...im very worried because normal he moves alot.This is my first so im not really sure how long is too long for the baby not to move .PLEASE HELP.

Favorite Answer

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG ) recommends that you find a quiet and comfortable spot to sit (or lie down on your left side, which is optimal for providing your baby proper blood and oxygen circulation) and perform a kick count at least once a day from your seventh month of pregnancy until you deliver.

Try doing the test 20 minutes after eating and see how long it takes the baby to move (kick, flutter, swish, or roll) 10 times.

Again, you should feel your baby move 10 times in about two hours. "If it takes longer than four hours, it is a good idea to call your doctor," suggests Dr. Gerard M. DiLeo, MD, BabyZone's board-certified obstetrician-gynecologist.

The ACOG recommends that if you've not felt 10 kicks by the end of the second hour of counting, you wait a few hours and then try to count again. After the second session, if you've not felt 10 movements within two hours, contact your healthcare provider right away.

You should also make a call to your doctor if you notice a big change in your baby's movement patterns over the course of three to four days. (For example, if you've noticed that your baby has been very active after breakfast or right before you go to bed each day for several weeks, but then quiets down considerably for three to four days, you should mention the pattern change to your doctor.)

http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/fetal_developmen...

Some gentle tricks I use to get a response from baby:

•Change position, especially lying on my back or belly briefly.

•Eat something sweet, then wait a few minutes.

•Listen to music. My son never kicked harder than when the organ played at church!

•Press on one side of my belly, and see if the baby presses back.

•Drink an icy cold glass of water to wake him up!

http://pregnancy.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/07/how_...

when i was 30 weeks my baby basically stopped almost all movements for like 3 days...scared the crap out of me.

i called L&D and they told me to do a kick count. this includes ALL movement...so i did one and within an hour i had felt little movements that i would probably have otherwise not felt if i had not been paying attention. (you need to drink some orange juice and lay on your left side, possibly without any noise from a radio or tv)

you should be getting at least 10 movements in one hour...any less and you need to go get hooked up to the monitors to see whats up.

turns out my baby just had a lazy week. but since you are 37 weeks...some say that before they went into labor their baby stopped moving a lot, not saying you are going into labor soon, but this MIGHT be an indicator.

ABOVE 10 kicks an hour!!! Jesus, some babies are just Lazy, the further you get into your pregnancy the less room the baby has to move so movement will stop a little, Im sure there is absolutley nothing to worry about, if in doubt i wouls call your midwife but I really wouldnt worry too much x

You should be having ten kicks, every two hours but babies do kick less the farther you are in the third trimester. This is due to the lack of room they have now. I would call your doctor just to see if he thinks you need to come in but don't worry if the baby is at least kicking. Your baby may be kicking more while you were sleeping.

You should be having like 10 kicks an hour. I would call your obgyn asap! I would make an appointment with them. They'll hook you up to the monitor and see how many times he kicks. Good luck and keep us posted!

*if it's a few hours before your ob opens and you just can't wait to know then I would head into the ER.

You are considered full-term now and your baby's final touches are being made. The crown-to-rump length of your baby is now 14 inches and the total length is around 21 inches. Your baby weighs approximately 6.5 pounds. Your uterus may be measuring about the same as it has been and is probably about 6.5 inches from the top of your bellybutton.

This week your baby should engage into your pelvis. If this is not your first pregnancy, it may happen later. When your baby engages, his head drops down into your pelvis and you might feel a slight sensation called `lightening` as the pressure on your ribs eases. As your baby drops into the final position for delivery, you may experience a buzzing feeling and shooting pains in your groin and leg. Normally, you will be able to breathe and eat easier. However, your uterus pushes down harder on your bladder and you will have an increased urge to urinate more frequently. Even if your baby engages now, you still possibly feel his feet in your breastbone around week 40.

Your baby is now fully mature and ready to be born. However, your baby is still growing and developing every day. Fat is still being laid down at a rate of a half ounce a day. If this is your first pregnancy, you can expect to deliver closer to 40 weeks or shortly thereafter. If this is not your first baby, you might go earlier than 40 weeks! Make sure that your bags are packed for the hospital and remember to preregister for admission.

Your doctor may begin doing weekly pelvic exams to evaluate your cervical changes and progression. Your healthcare provider will make sure that you are not leaking amniotic fluid and will also examine your cervix to check for effacement and dilation. Before labor, your cervix is thick and 0% effaced. During labor your cervix thins out and right before delivery it will become very soft and 100% effaced.

Research shows your baby can be affected by stress hormones. Make time to relax, to have fun, and to rest.

Your baby has learned to coordinate sucking, swallowing and breathing so it can do all three when breastfeeding after birth. Babies practice shallow breathing before birth, using amniotic fluid.

they get lazy at times, i just went in "at 40 weeks" cuz my baby was not kicking barley for 2 days, and she was fine and dandy, she was just tired :)

But just to be safe def call your doc, they hooked me up to a machine and was monitoring her

Call your doctor and ask what they would advise you to do