Is the position of moderate religion defensible in debates with religious fundamentalists?

I don't see how moderate religious people can defend their position against the fundamentalists. The Holy texts are on the side of the Fundamentalists. Even though most people condemn Pat Robertson's crazed remarks, he does have the Bible on his side far more often than most of his critics. In the Old Testament, God is constantly punishing people for the sins of their ancestors (this is even referenced in the 10 Commandments).

The moderates are left in an indefensible position, which is why moderate religion has been declining in recent years. On one end, the fundamentalists have scripture on their side. On the other end, atheists/agnostics have consistency on their side and they usually share the same values as the moderates. Both the fundamentalists and the atheists/agnostics are utilizing scripture to try to bring the moderates to their side. Do religious moderates have to choose an extreme or is there some way out of the fact that scripture is not on their side?

Favorite Answer

I see what you are saying, and I understand, What Pat Robertson said was True in one sense But could have said it better, How ? Don't ask me, I don't have a clue how, But I see these two points here, It is Confirmed,That Haiti Did make a Pact with Satan, this much is True, Now If God is Real and satan is real, Is it not Possible to make a pact with Satan ? we make a Covenant with God in Communion, so it must be possible to make one with satan, and just what would that Pact result in ?, Voodoo is the recognized State religion there, and just what is God supposed to do about that.

Now for the 2nd Point, Since 1972 Roe V. Wade 130 million Children have been slaughtered in this Country, Many Cults and Pagan Worship abounds, Pornography, Homosexuality being accepted, Crime is on the rise Secularism, Atheism, all on the Rise, If God does not take His Justice on this nation then Sodom and Gomorrah will have to be resurrected and apologized to. I believe the reason He doesn't is the Numerous Churches and many Christians Here Praying and Holding off His Wrath.

Even so, One more Point, Jesus spoke of a situation like what took in Haiti but on a smaller scale and had this to say on these two Incidents

Luke 13:1-5 There were present at that season some who told Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.

And Jesus answered and said to them, "Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things?

I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.

Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem?

I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish."

So Hmm..This seems like a warning, Suggestion, Read the Book of Amos

Source(s): The Lightning Strikes
  • blair

jointly as there are a lot of positive religious human beings available, I actually have a issue with faith often. First among my complaints, human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of religious doctrine and prepare. i'm no longer able to locate it interior of myself to have any love for something that has been used to justify worry, hatred, and violence. as nicely, i've got self assurance faith is unfavorable to our skill as clever beings to think of for ourselves and take accountability for our very own lives. faith is in simple terms too undemanding. it is so a lot extra trouble-free to assert "nicely it is in god's palms" than this is to actual get up and do something effective. God is little extra desirable than a scapegoat.

No matters what version of the Bible ya read

.

There will always be some jerk out there that

.

Has got the bright idea of how to make a better wheel

.

And for me I just think

.

Just let em blow each other up in the name of what ever god they got

.