promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
mundabe2000 asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

is it normal for a 3 month old bunny to eat its own poo?

i catch my bunny eat its own "pellets" from time to time when its in its playpen. i know that its not healthy for any creature to just eat its own feces but im just concern if i should be worried about health matters. is there any way to make it stop eating it?. thanx in advance.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Don't stop him eating them. Rabbits have a very complex digestive system. Their hind gut ferments food into high and low fibre particles. The high fiber particles are eliminated fast while the nutrient rich particles are sent to his caecum to be made into caecotrophs ("pellets"). The rabbit then swallows these caecotrophs intact where they are further digested by the stomach. These pellets are essential for rabbits health- if they don't it leads to a lower level of nutrients with less available protein, and B and K vitamins. So nothing to be concerned about.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Sheena
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Is the puppy scarfing dirt too? These can be signs that they are nutrient deficient. The dog may not be absorbing enough nutrients from their food. Check with your vet to rule out parasites, too. This can also be a cause for nutritional deficiencies as parasites trash digestion. Eating poopy and snarfing dirt can be big indicators for these 2 conditions. Either way, your vet should be able to rule in or out these common puppy conditions.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

rabbits have a bizarre digestive system that requires them to eat their food twice to get all the necessary nutrients.

So , yes, your siht eating bunny is perfectly normal.

• 1 decade ago

no i had this problem with my rabbit, but its perfectly ok for them to do that as there are nutrients they can use

also to put your mind at rest:

apparently rabbits have an instinct for what they should and should not eat anyway, this includes plants

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yeah, I know they are adorable and everything, but they tend to do that. Shocking reality, huh?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yeah

• misha
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Don't stop him!! It's very healthy for him...

• 1 decade ago

yeah its fine, healthy actually.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yeah they do that... you just need to clean the cage frequently

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Feed It properly, or let it go. Rabbits chew incessantly.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.