My teahcer has a Confederate Flag hanging up in the classroom...(HELP!)?

--My English teacher has a Confederate Flag, and it is bothering me to the FULLEST. * Keep in mind, usually i dont care about this stuff, but i feel there's a deeper meaning...

* It usually represents KKK and slavery and hatred for blacks, northerners and civil rights activists. My class is compososed of mostly blacks, and the atmosphere is very tense.

In the First amendment we have freedom of speech. However, in the 14th amendment we abolished slavery. However, CAN WE PROMOTE SOMETHING THAT WE DONE AWAY WITH IN OUR CONSTITUION AND CIVIL LIBERTIES AND RIGHTS...

&p.s. i want ot be a criminal lawyer so i know..

just giveme your input..

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Josuan
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Just ask him. Take a minute after class, or even before class, to ask why he displays the flag, and what it means to him. It would be nice to ask him in private, just you and him, or maybe you and a friend and the teacher. If you ask while the class is there, it might look like you're ganging up on him... but it could also be the start of a wonderful debate on civil liberties, the freedom of speech, or an essay assignment on something like that. As long as he lets you get your opinion of the flag across, it should be an interesting debate.

It could be he displays it because someone very dear gave it to him. Maybe he has a deep interest in the civil war. And it might just be that he is a member of KKK. Or maybe he's had trouble with blacks in the past and (erroneously) thinks that keeping that flag there will let you know who's boss (true story: I had a teacher who kept a heavy lock on her desk so she could threaten to throw us with it if we misbehaved, and she actually threw it once and chipped the chalkboard). Even he sounds like he's lying about why, the truth shines sooner or later.

Point said, you, and your classmates, should make it very clear that you find the flag very offending. If he can convince you that the flag is there for reasons that have nothing to do with race, let him keep it. If it's there because he's a racist... make sure you make him take it down. But don't try to take it down before actually talking to him (talking directly to the principal will only make him angry and give you grief for the rest of the year).

(By the way: the flag was a battle flag that did represent the Confederacy, but the Confederacy was fighting for their economy more than because they were racists. So, the flag represents the south and unfortunately has come to mean the wrong thing over time.)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • pat
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Who cares.... Its your place in case you pick for to hang the flag and no count if it incredibly is a few thing you incredibly have confidence then do it. i'm a black guy and the meaning in the back of the flag does not have something to do with race and if anybody say it does ought to tutor themselves. It’s all approximately context. to appreciate what it’s all approximately, you need to ask the persons that decide for to show the flag by using fact they’re each and every going to have their own reasoning. Few symbols in the international have usual meaning, why might the accomplice flag be any diverse? the real question is why human beings sense uncomfortable on the sight of it. each and everything is getting used out of context from the bandanas which very just about all and sundry think of if a guy or woman positioned on a bandana belong to a gang besides Take Care

• DCFN
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I am from the Southeastern USA and I know for a fact that the Confederate flag represents the Confederacy that was abolished by the victory of the Union to end the Civil War. You should definitely do something to have the flag officially removed (don't get yourself into legal trouble, though.)

Source(s): Yankee at heart
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yeah this is inappropriate. Yes there's freedom of speech but when it comes to "communities" such as a school, there are some limits on freedom of speech. Like you can't claim that you have freedom of speech when you get in trouble for using bad language in school. Schools are different, some things are inappropriate. And yes, some people would argue that the Confederate flag just represents the South, but it represents the Confederates, the soldiers fighting FOR slavery.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Russ
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

First of all, know that the flag which is commonly called a "Confederate Flag" is no such thing. It is a Confederate battle jack, and was never a flag of the CSA.

There are some who misrepresent the battle jack as being synonymous with hatred and racism. Phooey on them, it is only a symbol of racism in their hearts and minds. The fact that they have promoted it as such is a negative reflection on their character, and a misrepresentation.

The Confederate battle jack should only be flown in a spirit of historical accuracy, and never in hatred, mistrust, or confrontation, because it was never meant to be so.

Those who display the jack in a spirit of hatred or racism discredit our Southern heritage, and do so to the disgust of all true Southerners.

And those who view the jack with hatred and distrust fail to understand the true feelings of those who fly it in the true spirit of the Confederacy.

Heritage, not hate!

• 1 decade ago

For many of us Southerners, the Confederate flag represents our heritage. Unfortunately, hate groups, white supremacists, and racist rednecks have co-opted a symbol of historic pride and turned in into a symbol of ignorance and racism. As a child growing up in the South, I revered and respected it. As an adult, I cringe at its display. It's not appropriate in a classroom; at the very least, it shows insensitivity. It should be removed.

If the teacher wants to display a flag that represents Southern heritage without the racist overtones the battle flag carries, I would recommend the first Confederate national flag, the Stars and Bars. It's not as widely recognized, and it's not used as a symbol by hate groups.

• sure.
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The confederate flag doesn't represent racism, it's about heritage. It just so happens that a bunch of racist rednecks took the flag and decided they liked it. Still, that doesn't mean it actually represents racism (or redneckism). Nothing on the flag says anything racist or illustrates anything racist. You can't call something racist just because racists like it. I'm gay and like pizza. I know a lot of gay people who enjoy pizza. That doesn't mean pizza represents the gay community though.

I'm from the south and really couldn't care less about the rebel flag but it's a HUGE deal down here and I get sick of hearing about it.

• 1 decade ago

it my represent that to you but to her it has more meaning to it.

so maybe ask her about it ?

maybe put the past behind you and get over it ?

sounds harsh but i think that to many hold on to the mistakes of people in the past.

• Hildo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Two places to contact would be The Southern Poverty Law Center and the NAACP.

• 1 decade ago

it represents no such thing.....

what it does represent is the southern half of the united states and the people who hold this region dear....

Source(s): gay Caucasian man born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.