Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

What is the highest caliber gun that police carry?

And possibly higher levels of law enforcement, too. Separately, like x for them, y for them, etc...

Favorite Answer

For handguns, the highest caliber is .45 ACP. For shotguns, they use 12 gauge. For rifles, it depends on the situation. .223 rifles and .30 carbines are commonly carried in patrol cars. .308 would be used by SWAT snipers. A few departments have .50 BMGs in their armories. I have no idea what they use them for.

Note that caliber doesn't always equate to power. The .223 AR-15 or M16 is significantly more powerful than the .30 carbine, for example. A full house .357 Magnum is more powerful than a .45 ACP.

Source(s): I'm a firearms instructor. I sometimes train and train with police officers.

The .45 is becoming fashionable for many departments once again, so Glock 21s are becoming more and more common in holsters across the country. And is probably the "biggest" (diameter) round an average patrol officer carries.

Though I don't think much thought is put into that choice other than "bigger must be better". I know there will always be big bore advocates However, I have never seen shown a study or data that a .45 is any better of a man stopper than a .40 S&W. If you buy into Marshall and Sanow (some people don't) or the Strasbourg studies (again, some don't), most of the data shows the .40 to probably be at least an equal, if not better stopper. Plus you get a couple more rounds in your gun.

If you want raw power, you still see some.357 magnums in older timer's holsters and very very rarely, an occasional .41 or .44 magnum.

Source(s): Me Police Officer

My department issued weapon is a Sig Sauer P229 chambered. in .40 caliber. Many friends at other departments are carrying Glock .40. Alot of people in law enforcement are getting away from the 9MM due to lack of stopping power. They are also getting away from .45 cal due to cappacity. The .40 is a great comprimise. I also carry a Rock River AR15 in my trunk it is a 5.56 chambered rifle.

I don't understand what you put in the subtext of your question.

The highest pistol caliber that police carry is a .45. I guess it would be somewhat plausible that some departments could use a .50 for a sniper, but I don't know of any.

• Sioux

I am sure that somewhere someone is carrying a .50 cal, This round is good only for hunting as a Grizzly bear would be wise to stand clear of the New .50 cal S&W!

spaz is... just that. anyway, the highest would be a .45, but departments can choose what they want. some pick a 9mm, others .40 or .45.

• ?

.45 caliber

Source(s): I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander. During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union. I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration

they all currently carry 9mm glocks