Master's degree in Human Resource Management - is it worth me pursuing it?

I am in a total slump. I have a B.S. in Sociology, and a M.Ed. in Media. I have 10 years experience in K-12 that I hated. I am desperate to change my career. I am very interested in getting into human resources and am looking to get either a degree or certificate in it, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot as far as being able to get a job when I'm done. I don't want to be overqualified and under experienced. What do you suggest? Any help would be great!

• CoachT
    Favorite Answer

You won't be overqualified with a master's - management positions have been leaning upward to the master's level for some time now. You are going to find yourself far too inexperienced for generalist HR management positions and not specialized enough for the specialist positions except for one:

Training and Development is a function of HR and your teaching experience, if you can adapt to androgogic methods as opposed to pedagogy, has value in the business.

Sociology and Education are both excellent foundations for positions in organizational development. In fact, it's likely that a degree in HR wouldn't be needed at all but instead a certificate or a few courses for background. The problem there is that HRD (Human Resources Development) is very often not "a job" so much as it's a consultancy.

A Training and Development Specialist can move into an HR Management generalist position without the degree in HR Mngt but will need some serious continuing education in compliance, staffing, benefits, and compensation without an MA/MS in HR.

Take a look around the ASTD webpages and see if this is possibly a direction you'd like to consider. http://www.astd.org/

I am not sure if there is such thing as Master's degree in Human Resources.

But there is a MBA with emphasize in Human Resources.

To get into MBA you first have to take GMAT test and you have to score pretty high on it, since entrance to MBA program is really competitive.

Also to get into MBA, the school typically asks you whether you have a previous business experience (preferably in management setting). If you can somehow prove that you have a adaquate experience, you may be accepted into the program; if not, you will have to gain the appropriate work experience first.

So MBA is a good degree but it is really hard to get into the program. Also thing to consider is while you are taking MBA you won't be able to work at the same time (the program is very demanding), so there will be some financial loss there.

But if you absolutely hate the current job, the why not, go for it! you will have to study freallyhard though, if not during the program, at least to GET INTO the program

The Master's in HR would be a "nice to have." I say that because you already have an M. Ed. So the HR degree may not be worth your time or money. The difficulty will be in getting your foot in the door. Not sure what your previous experience may be but sounds like you may need to start at the bottom. You may find the following interesting...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2647409/m...

• Laura

I would go with the Bachelors. Depending on how credits from you degree transfer, you may not need to take general education classes which will speed up the process.A masters in HR would correlate with the field.I would check into any agreements about transferring credit.