What are the steps needed to becoming a CEO?

I'm considering becoming a chief executive officer. Is that possible with a business administration and management major?

Also, I know that obviously becoming a CEO right away is very unlikely because you need to work your way up. What would be my first position if I want to make my way to becoming a CEO? My 2nd position? 3rd? 4th?

Also, I don't plan to own my own corporation, I want to work in someone else's.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

This is difficult to answer as CEO roles vary from organisation to organisation. Generally, as a CEO you're task is to ensure that the organisation you leave performs better than the organisation you entered - if that makes sense?

For instance, if you joined company X in 2008, and the revenue was £100m, your goal is to ensure that by the time you leave company X the revenue (or any major performance indicator) increases significantly. This proves that wherever you go, performance improves. Thus, a resume of a CEO does not list the tasks in previous roles; it tends to be a portfolio of savings and/or business improvements changes delivered in previous organisations.

There are several routes to becoming a CEO - however I would strongly recommend a degree in a numerical discipline as a starting point (economics, ideally) and no matter what role you undertake, it is good to record your achievements and translate these into business outcomes: what decisions/actions have you taken in your last role to deliver cost savings or generate more revenue? Build on this and you will be on the right route.

A good starting position is Business Analyst. This role tends to be very strategic, involves modelling, designing processes, and improving business efficiency. Such a role will enable you to develop an impressive portfolio of cost savings and business improvements.

Source(s): I interviewed/profiled several CEOs and Directors when I worked in PR.
  • nesin

administration could be a stable factor to check. extra importantly however make certain you get basically a splash awareness from distinctive departments (promoting and marketing, finance, production, etc.) in case you be attentive to slightly approximately many areas of the employer you will do properly. extra important than analyzing however is to have a favorable ideas-set. bypass the extra mile, attempt to check all which you will, be aggressive and continuously seem for the right thank you to strengthen your self and the employer. in case you have a stable theory run with it and get your self observed.